Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Advice please

Can anyone advise why under hard acceleration the rear of the seven snakes from side to side. The car is running on aftermarket wheels(15) and tyres. It is an 1800 super sport with LSD .

I have the original 14 inch wheels, if I fit these with decent tyres will this reduce the problem?

Sounds like your rear tyres are breaking traction - what tyres and engine do you have? How old are the tyres?

It may just be that you have old rubber- or may benefit from an upgrade (if you have Michelin Pilots).

Another reason could be that you have too much pressure in the tyres - what are yours set at?

Steve

First things to check would be wheel location, so jack up the car and see if there is movement. Are the wheel/suspension bolts tight, any worn bushes or play in the wheel bearings?

Duncan

The previous owner (have just purchased car) ran Halfords wheels and tyre combo set at 18 psi.

I thought about going back to 14 inch mini litres with either yoko or Toyota tyres

If the wheels/tyres are Halfords aftermarket items then the tyres will almost certainly be a bit hard for a 7 (intended for tintop most likely) so that could be why they are breaking traction. If it is then going side to side then this doesn't sound like normal behaviour for an LSD - more like an open diff *confused*

Quoting James-Seven: 
Can anyone advise why under hard acceleration the rear of the seven snakes from side to side. The car is running on aftermarket wheels(15) and tyres. It is an 1800 super sport with LSD .

I have the original 14 inch wheels, if I fit these with decent tyres will this reduce the problem?

Is your question actually "why does the car break traction when accelerating hard from a standing start?"

If so it may be the tyres.

If the car is weaving under hard acceleration once you are moving then I doubt it is the cause unless:

A) It's wet

B) the tyres are truly diyung ditchfinder, widow maker specials