Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tight Racks

Harry Flatters

I have a 1995 VXI HPC with mostly standard gear including the steering rack. I recently took a trip out to the London to Brighton Veteran car run which involved about 10 miles of M23. As I came off the motorway and needed to steer into a garage I found that steering had tightened up so much so that not only was it really difficult to turn but when it did it would not center itself. This is not funny at 70mph!

I stopped, checked for any visible problems - none and drove around the forecourt a couple of times and it cleared itself. Weird or what?

On the way home it did exectly the same thing after having been on the M23 for about 5 miles but again cleared once off the motorway any more steering activity was used.

I spoke to Peter Carmichael while at Handcross and he asked whether the rack was new because CC's have had some problems with a recent version of their racks. This does not apply here as min is 5 years old. Also the adjuster nut was as it should be with no other apparent faults obvious.

Has anybody got a clue as to what is going on here?

That's strange because there are times when I've been on the motorway for an hour or so and the steering suddenly feels like its stuck or at least very stiff - I've pulled off and it seems OK again - I decided it must be my imagination but if other people have experienced it then there must be something in it.

Has anyone asked Caterham if they have an explanation?

Does anyone have any ideas why it might happen?