Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Refurbishing carbon wings

My carbon (MOG) rear wings are currently painted and being black, they show up every mark. There's a few chips and a couple of small nicks on them too, so I was thinking of getting them stripped back and clear lacquered.

Does anyone have any recommendations of who might be able to do this and what the cost involved would be?

• Leadership Team

Been there done that ... don't bother!

You can strip them back using Nitromors then get them clear coated but you'll still need to add some paint protection, as a minimum Armorfend/3M type material and maybe even carbon stone guards. IMHO bare CF rear wings should be just that, bare, no paint protection film, no stone guards etc., and this cannot be done with lacquered carbon.

In time the lacquer will get destroyed just like the paint has. Best option is repaint them the same colour as the car and add Caterham CF stoneguards and paint protection film. ie. make it look factory original *thumbup*

Stu.

Thanks Stu, I guess there's no reason for lacquer to fair better than paint, so, as you say, might just end up fitting carbon stone guards or take the whole lot back to bare carbon.

• Leadership Team

Because they've already been painted they will have been flatted to key the surface for the paint, you can strip back the paint but you will not be looking at pristine finish carbon fibre. You can then flat & and polish to try to get the desired surface back but you're in danger of breaking through too much of the surface resin and exposing or getting close to the fibres. Also there are often small air bubbles in or just below the surface of the carbon, when it is keyed for paint some of these become exposed and fill with the paint. You can scratch the paint out with a pin but there will still be holes.

If you were asking about front wings or a nose cone where the exposure to road-rash is tiny compared to rear wings, I'd be suggesting you go the strip and lacquer route, but not rear wings.

Stu.

• Leadership Team

Quoting Gavin H: 
Surely there is little point in having painted cf wheel arches?? They save weight, but the look is really the point isn't it? Maybe I am just shallow and don't get it...
Gavin, the CF wings are better "mouldings" than the GRP versions, also whether plain CF looks good is very dependent on the colour of the car. My previous car was red and looked far better with painted wings than carbon, even drawing comments when I went back to red wings. Current car is Lotus Azure Blue and is the same, I've now swapped from plain to painted rear wings. Light and bright colours look perfect with the bare carbon look. The rear wings are just too great an area to work with al colours.

Stu.

The wings were painted before I bought the car. Seems starnge that as the car was black, they didnt just leave the wings bare.

Point taken regarding stripping the wings back and looks like this is to be avoided.

Anyway, the wings aren't bad enough yet to warrant a repaint so I might look at fitting some carbon stone guards but that in itself just doesnt seem right; carbon on carbon

• Leadership Team

Quoting Culminator: 
I might look at fitting some carbon stone guards but that in itself just doesnt seem right; carbon on carbon
You'd be in perfectly good company ....

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/upload/30556/images/01caterham620rfirstoffficialpictures.jpg

Stu.

Quoting Culminator: 
The wings were painted before I bought the car. Seems starnge that as the car was black, they didnt just leave the wings bare.

Point taken regarding stripping the wings back and looks like this is to be avoided.

Anyway, the wings aren't bad enough yet to warrant a repaint so I might look at fitting some carbon stone guards but that in itself just doesnt seem right; carbon on carbon

I have carbon on painted carbon

I bought some MOG carbon headlights, and had a bit of trouble getting them to be a good finish.

BUT..... you can get an excellent finish - I got a local body shop to do mine, and put some info on my blog about the process and the final outcome.

Slightly off the main subject ......but I have carbon front wings and having been caught out in a downpour last week ....they now have milky white spots all over them and the dashboard too .....which is very annoying

I have scrubbed and scrubbed and it is fading but I can still see the milky white spots......anyone else experience this ?