Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Electrical issues

Posted in the (likely vain) hope that someone else has had the exact same issue thus releasing me fro a few hours with a test light/multimeter.

S3 HPC. Headlights work fine. Rear lights don't illuminate, nor do brake lights - BUT, pressing the brake pedal lights up the dash lights and side lights.

No numb nut " bad earth" suggestions please - I'm looking for something more specific

1. do indicators work or light up at all, front and/or rear? with or without sides on?

2. dash and sides, is that front sides only and is that with the sidelight switch on in both side-only and with-headlights positions?

3. when the dash and sides light up when you press the brake pedal, are they dim or full brightness?

It does sound like an earth off (but you want to know which one). Try taking a wire from the rear light block to a good chassis point somewhere.

Paul

I had the same issue without the dash lights coming on , it was the connector blocks from the rear loom to the lights . They had furred up and the dry weather triggered it. I had to take them all apart and clean the connectors one by one *rolleyes* to cure it

Trying to figure out the mechanism for this. The only possible one is that the blown filament has shorted the supply between the brake and tail filements (in one or both bulbs). However, this would require not only a short, but that all four filaments are blown.

Unless, of course, there was a bad earth as well ...