Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Non-7 problem - broken key in Mini petrol cap

Ralph Morgan

Went to open the locking cap on the Mini ("proper" version - 1985 vintage) this morning and the key broke in the lock, due to the lock being frozen. Upshot was I had to use the Caterham to get to work - I hate doing this with all the salt on the road - and now of course I'm faced with the problem of removing the petrol cap before I can fuel up the Mini and use it.

Anyone out there got any ideas how to do this, before I resort to the monster Stilson wrench that I've got lurking somewhere under the workbench? I'm reluctant to start drilling anything attached to the fuel tank for obvious reasons.

All suggestions welcome!

Mini's great a topic I have plenty of expreiance with. 😬

Drilling the Petrol cap may be the only option ☹️ and you will never flush the tank properly. I tried once with a take I removed from the car, no petrol cap fitted, and try as I might to remove all the fuel from the tank there was still fluid in there *confused*. So solutions drill or cut the neck of the tank with a hack saw and change the tank with one from the scrap yard (its only one bolt and two wires). A new tank is about 70+VAT so a second hand one should be around 30 ish.

Chris...

PS My last Mini had an A Series making 119 BHP at the wheels on Peter Baldwins Rolling Road ( a name for the MINI People)

Edited by - ChrisC on 6 Jan 2003 13:21:35

Could you drill two small holes either side of the key to enable you to get a pair of snipe nosed pliers onto it and manipulate it out ?

That way you wouldn't have to drill past the fluid seal into the throat.

Just a thought.

If it has snapped off with the key engaged in the lock the key should have engaged the levers in the lock. That means you should be able to twist the lock barrell - try a punch and hammer to twist it - or hamer in and old screwdriver and twist that. If the key was half way in when it snapped then you might not be so lucky. RAC route sounds a good one in that case.

I found myself in the same situation with a door lock with the car parked at Wimbledon Common. Surprising number of people gathered around to lend tools and offer help. I guess I don't look like a car thief!

Jonathan