Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which aeroscreen?

What is the preferred aeroscreen: Carbon, clear plastic, laminate or polycarbonate?

I need one but dont want to plump for the wrong option. The caterham carbon one seems very expensive but there is also a well priced polycarbonate one for sale as a used item on another forum. Not sure who made that though.

Cheers!

• Area Representative

It all depends on how low you sit in the car.

I use a foam seat and effectively sit on the floor.

I used to use a JPE style screen, but With lowered wing stays, I could see where the front wheels were, so found it difficult to place the car on the road.

I now use an old race style single clear aero.

Are the twin Perspex screens a quick fit like a full aero screen?

Agreed, Brooklands look good on a trad car but mine is contemporary.

I had a drivers side clear Perspex race screen and its bolted through the scuttle.

I currently have a clear aero screen.

The clear aero is easy to fit remove and uses the same side fixings as the full windscreen (other than the centre fixing which I utilised the existing poppers).

The individual race screens will need the scuttle drilled for fixings, so not a quick fix.

As my last Caterham was effectively a single seater with a rigid race ally tonneau, I found that the old clear race aero (the one with the separate ally mount) was supurb for wind deflection as the angle of mount was almost vertical and it created a great dead zone behind, but it wasn't realy wide enough and at 80mph there was a full flow of air around the nearside of the aero which hit your left ear. The ideal would be a race aero that's vertical but extends a further 3" to the nearside.

I don't like the carbon ones as it blocks the view of the nearside wheel etc.

Hmm that's very tempting Aves and would easily enable the small screen to be taken to track days and swapped over from the windscreen. I'm guessing at least some of the rivnuts would be on the external side of the windscreen line though and hence permanently on show with a full screen fitted?

I fitted the clear 'half-aeroscreen' as Dave and Matthew described above (and used to be known popularly as a 'Vauxhall race screen' - as that's where it originated) as a detachable item using rivnuts with a strip of aluminium under the scuttle as a stiffener strip (which may not be necessary, but it seemed a good idea at the time). I think I managed to position all of the rivnuts under the windscreen rubber or behind the triangle of the screen stanchion. Some think it looks a bit agricultural but I bonded a rubber strip to the bottom of the perspex to sit as a flap covering the mounting strip and all the screwheads.

I think I've driven cars with all of the regular screen/door/half door/no door/aero combinations, and (concurring with Dave) this was - by a considerable margin - the best at creating a calm area for the driver. I didn't experience the high-speed turbulence that Dave describes, but I probably only achieved those speeds when wearing a crash hat.

(For ref. I'm 6' 2" with standard floors, but sat quite low on a foam-to-fit seat.)

I have ridden in a car with one of those rather taller, carbon aeroscreens - that seemed to work quite well, but I wasn't impressed by a) the obscuring of the opposite front wheel, and b) the iffy appearance (subjective).

Quoting andy_h: 
I had a drivers side clear Perspex race screen and its bolted through the scuttle.

I currently have a clear aero screen.

The clear aero is easy to fit remove and uses the same side fixings as the full windscreen (other than the centre fixing which I utilised the existing poppers).

The individual race screens will need the scuttle drilled for fixings, so not a quick fix.

So, just to understand, the meteor style clear full length aero is easy to change over with the full windscreen? I'd like to be able to alternate between the two without too much work. I assume I would still need a set of mirrors, wiper spindle covers and some form of easy connect/disconnect for the heated windscreen? Anything else?

Thanks

Edited by - Silverback on 27 Jul 2014 16:22:53

Silverback,

Yes mine is easy to change between screen and aero.

My aero only uses two bolts (one windscreen side bolt each side), and then mine poppers in the middle.

I don't use the brackets that fit inside.

I remove wiper blades (just pull them off), I don't bother with caps.

I don't have a heated screen so can't help here.

My centre mirror is fixed to the scuttle and doesn't move between screen or aero.

I only use a drivers side mirror and this is fixed to the scuttle also, not the aero.

Hope that helps.

Tony, Andy, are your single aero screens also with the alloy mounting strip? There are two types of screen and I now have both, the one with the alloy mount and the one where the Perspex is moulded so that it fits flush to the scuttle and the mounting bolts go through the Perspex.

Just interested to see what is the best choice between the two before I start drilling! *thumbup*

I made my own drivers-only screen almost a decade ago here after trying the old JPE-style full-width version.

Having recently started to use the Caterham again after a couple of fallow years following the purchase of the Westie, I am reminded how good this screen is - to the point where I can commute with a baseball cap and cruise happily at dual-carriageway speeds without it threatening to lift.

I was tempted to fit a LHD race screen to the pax side (cheaper/easier than building another AR7E screen but never did as the car remains single-seat.

Mine was the type with (slightly crude-looking, tbh) aluminium strip (I’d forgotten about the later one-piece version), which is why I made a rubber strip to cover the fixings. I still have it, though it’s not on the car atm.

Thinking about it more, I'm pretty sure I did end up with one rivnut visible (with full screen on), but ‘inside’ the cockpit (i.e. behind the full screen) towards the tonneau popper bases. As I’d used a ‘stiffening’ strip under the scuttle, I used a countersunk rivet, so it wasn’t very obvious (not that I was too bothered, tbh). Don’t know if I have any close-up pics, but there’s a vague view of it on the front of LF Mar ’07.

Ideally, you need SBFS’s secure poppers for the front of the half tonneau (if you use one) ‘cos the front edge is a bit exposed to the wind and prone to lift. I also put a large metal eyelet in the front edge (of the tonneau) and had a short loop of elastic cord through that and around the centre mirror post, which worked well.

When I re-furbished the car (sadly little used since, which I must try to remedy) I had an extra scuttle made without screen or wiper cut-outs - just for the sake of appearances really - but since, when in ‘aero’ mode, I had the mirrors mounted via the screen stanchion holes, and wasn’t too bothered about the wiper spindles showing, it was perhaps a little unnecessary.