Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roadsport or R300?

h

I am about to order a new self build Seven but I am still in two minds on what to buy. My initial budget was for a Roadsport but by the time I have gone through the options list (6 speed, uprated brakes, 140bhp, etc) the price is not that different to a R300. I would be grateful for any advice and thoughts (especially from R300 owners). If I went for the R300 do I need to order the LSD? I will be mainly using my Seven on the road with just a couple of Track days each year.

Thanks

If you can afford it, go for the R300. If you go for your other choice, you will soon be spending the money on upgrades which you don't strictly need, but you WILL want 😬. Fact is any Caterham is great to drive compared to the standard fare, so whatever you get will fun. If you can, go to your local meet and have a play.

Tarek - with a working battery!!

PS, I'm talking partial bo****ks because whatever you get you will start thinking about upgrades at some stage - it just goes with 7 ownership 😬 *thumbup*

Edited by - Tarek on 6 Jan 2003 10:44:09

Richard,

Thanks for the invite but unfortnately I am busy on wednesday night. I have already attended a 'Merseyside & District' meeting which was a source of great advice and meets vey close to where I live. The reason for my post is that I will be sending Caterham my next second deposit in the next couple of weeks and I am just making sure that a R300 is the right choice over a very slightly cheaper well specced Roadsport.

H.

H,

I just went through the same decision process and ended up with an R300 and I'm really happy with it. You get a better spec for the money and its resale value will be better in the long term. With Roadsports you get comfort options as standard and performance options cost extra, whilst it is the other way around with Superlights. The latter is better (IMO) because you get more performance per pound. This and driving fun are the key features for a Caterham and comfort is largely irrelevant.

I just went for (red) paint and an FIA bar as options...

Cheers!

• Leadership Team

Harry,

Whichever you buy you'll be more than pleased with. However, take yourself forward 12 months, and I'll bet if you bought the Roadsport you'll be wishing / wondering / lusting after an R300? If you'd bought the R300 I think you'll be made up and relatively satisfied.

Upgraditis is an affliction on 7 owners as sure as a wet elbow on a rainy day, as sure as bluebottles bouncing off grinning teeth ........................................it's your choice. See you at Daresbury.

Stu.

H

I went through the same thought process a couple of months ago - my R300 kit is due in a couple of week's time (not that I'm counting, you understand). I was trading up from a 1.6k Roadsport, so I guess my decision was slightly different. I decided that the R300 made more sense basically because by the time I'd added on the bits I wanted the price was pretty much the same. I also decided to have the LSD and dry sump because I intend to use the car on the track a fair bit plus it's inevbitable that I will want them in the end - so it's cheaper to get them up front!