Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Emerald connection problem

Dave B

Trying to sort out my lean mixture on K series 1600. Have new laptop running windows 8 but cannot get link to ecu. All connections OK green light on emerald but no link status. Not even a drop down box to select an input port. Anyone know of any issues running emerald M3DK on windows 8 please.

Dave B

Further investigation, windows says it cannot configure a driver for this device even though I have the emerald software installed B****y computers. This was to be the final thing to sort before getting out on the road for a great blat today but not to be. I will try and speak to Dave Walker on Monday.

I think it is RoHS, at least that is what is marked on the adapter. I bought it from Emerald and it worked fine with windows XP. I have found the port in device manager but windows is asking for a driver as none is installed. Will try t'web and see if I can download a driver.

Dave B

RoHS just means it's compliant with the safety regs regarding components. Eg it won't give you cancer. If it is from emerald the it prob is an easy sync using an ftdi chipset. Go to ftdi.com and download the drivers and instructions, they are quite comprehensive.

Some info on Emerald's website (including a link to FTDI Chip mentioned by JK) if you've not already been through it all:

http://www.emeraldm3d.com/media/software-manuals/Emerald%20Comms%20Setup%20-%20USB%20to%20Serial%20Adapter.pdf

I got ticked off with messing around with USB to serial converters and bought an ancient laptop with a serial port for ECU work. And it has been fantastic at connecting to various ECUs first time!

Thanks for responses so far. I have downloaded the FTDichip driver but as with the last driver, windows is recognising the usb-serial adapter but it is allocating comm3, unfortunately Emerald is telling me this port is not valid. There is no drop down list of ports. Getting desperate now as mot is looming and certainly will not pass in this state.

Dave B

I don't have much experience with Windows 8 (hate it!), but can you not reassign the port for the USB-serial adapter in the Device Manager? You may have a conflict with another piece of hardware that is on COM3, hence the Emerald throwing a wobbly. I've had this before and the trackpad went nuts.

Failing that, when is your MOT? In Gran Canaria? I have an idea...

• Area Representative

Dave,

I'm not familiar with Win8, but on Win XP/Vista/7, it's possible to go into "device manager" and change the Com port that is allocated to the USB serial device.

You may find that swapping it to Com 1 or Com 2 that the Emerald software will then recognise the com port.

Losing the will to live now. Have tried everything I can think of :-

Correct driver installed and windows says it is working OK.

Reconfigured comm port ( several times) but still emerald says port not valid and no ecu link.

Cannot make connection to ecu, message just says ecu switched off, or not connected.

All with engine running!!!!

Still doesn't get to the root of original problem which is, after changing cam belt and retiming cams, the idle mixture is way out( lean) when it was OK before work. *cry*

Thanks all for suggestions. Cannot test lead as I don't have a probe which will fit the tiny holes in the plug. Have downloaded latest s/w from emerald web. Will try and get lead checked at electricians, failing that try and beg steal or borrow another lead set to see if that works. Why did my old XP laptop bust on me????

I found an old XP laptop I'd forgotten about, which has a serial port, so, thought I'd give that a try. Still no ECU link. Thanks to englishmaninwales. I opened the plugs either end of the serial lead and guess what? no continuity on any wire apart from earth ( which is only connected at one plug). I cant believe all wires have come adrift somehow.

Does anyone have a spare serial comms lead they could send me urgently please. I can make electronic transfer of funds to cover cost and postage.

Dave B