Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Live axle handbrake cable routing?

Morls

*confused*I'm assuming the rod connecting the handbrake/compensator going accross the (ital) axle passes throgh the hole in the plate which hangs from the flat brace plate *confused*

*confused*But I'm even less sure how the cable should be routed / supported out of the tunnel and around the axle *confused*

Any advice, (or jpegs to e-morls@mark-n-morls.fsworld.co.uk ) gratefully received, thanks in advance *thumbup*

Mark

☹️ My Caterham Silver Jubilee No. 7 is for sale ☹️

I remember that the cable is free to move between the end of the transmission tunnel and the axle. I cannot remember which way it loops through the A-frame but there was a good diagram in the build manual.

As an aside, I failed my MOT one year as the handbrake cable can touch the propshaft (albeit only when the handbrake is on) and had to secure the cable to the side of the tunnel with a couple of P-clips further back than the loop that the cable slides through. The same guy failed me for the petrol line touching the prop-shaft the same year (which was a worthy call as you could see the top surface of the ppe had been abraided.

Cheers,

Graham

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Thanks Graham,

Since Mavis is a resto/upgrade project, not a new build, I've not got a build manual, although Tony Weale's book has been invaluable.

I've also got my silver Jubilee 7 to look at, which has helped a lot, but I never know if there's been a 'better' way to do things discoved in the 20 years since this was built.

Cheers

Mark

From memory the cable goes on the road side of the A-frame cross bar and on the axle side of the side bar on its way up to the axle.

However, if you let me have your fax number, I'll try to dig out my build manual tonight.

Cheers,

Graham

My 96 chassis hs a couple of pegs sticking up on the passenger side of the tunnel that the cable sits behind and is held out the way. I them just bent these over slightly to reduce the risk of it jumping out... been fine for 18k miles...

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

Cheers Graham,

I can call into the Middlesbrough office and collect it off the fax on 01642 231273

Thanks *thumbup*

Cheers Phil,

I can see the bit of which you speak but I'm going to need a James Herriot style reach to get to it *smile*

Mark

☹️ My Caterham Silver Jubilee No. 7 is for sale ☹️ But it's OK, I've got another *smile*

Mark, my 1982 chassis has the cable fed through the side of the tunnel, over the gearbox, then back through two small plates with grommets installed, these are brazed to the gearshift bridge and the hoop that is between the seats, exits the tunnel and passes under the "A" frame cross member, then rises above the left side forward tube, to the bracket that is attached to the axle, may be this is of some assistance, regards Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G & Ali. The True Colours.

Just to paraphrase Nogel and to quote the build manual from 1995:

2.7 From the rear of the tunnel, the handbrake cable should be routed under the transverse bracing tube of the A frame and over the diagonal tube of the A frame before being attached to the axle.

Cheers guys *thumbup*

Graham,

Hopefully There's enough info here *arrowup* to not need the diags, but thanks very much for the offer (and I may still need it later).

Since I'm off to Brum this weekend for commagirls and beer I'll not get to try it until next weekend, so if I'm back here then you'll no I've got it wrong 😳

Thanks again.

Mark

☹️ My Caterham Silver Jubilee No. 7 is for sale ☹️ But it's OK, I've got another *smile*