Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X FLOW EXHAUST GASKETS

Guy Lowe

I have recently bought a 1700 XF Super Sprint and after only 300 miles the centre exhaust manifold gasket is blowing.

The car has a 4-1 exhaust fitted which (looking through the receipts) was supplied by Caterham in November 2001 together with new gaskets (P/No:5043068 + 69). Again looking through the receipts I found a Caterham invoice for another set of the same gaskets dated June 02, the car has only done 800 (ish) miles since the new exhaust was fitted. I have removed the exhaust and both the head and the flanges look okay but the centre gasket has blown at the top between the two ports. The gasket looks like a standard Ford part ( it's oval and does not have a "centre" between No 2 +3 ports).

Can anyone tell me if the cause is the wrong gaskets having been fitted for use with the 4-1

and If so which should be used, if not what is the likly cause?

One thing I (as a novice) found strange is that the complete exhaust only has one mounting bracket, at the tail pipe by the rear wheel arch is this correct?

Thanks

Guy Lowe

Guy,

I also have a 4-1 exhaust and you're correct about the mounting bracket. There is only the one at the tail pipe end.

Referring to the gaskets, when Roger King tinkered with my engine back in November 2001 he fitted the copper exhaust gaskets as advertised in Low Flying. The centre gasket does have a "centre" between the 2 ports and I've never had any problem with blown gaskets in 10,000 miles. I guess they're not cheap compared with standard Ford parts but at £25 and no problems over the above mileage I won't complain.

I'd give RK a call and order the copper gaskets and see if this cures the problem. If not then I'm sure someone else on here will put you right.

Chris Alston

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud 😬 ...well it only sounds fast officer 😳

Brooklands aeroscreens for those........flies in the teeth moments *eek*

Drive it like you stole it! *cool* *thumbup*

Echo Oily's comments - my centre gasket blew very quickly after replacing it with the Caterham supplied part. Ended up taking it down a local racing outfit who linished the exhaust primaries completely flat to the head. They reassembled it without a gasket at all, just some sealing compound and it was fine after that.

Yep, only one mounting point for the exhaust.

SteveP

The gaskets are a pain as the xflows work the central branch of the exhaust loose after the sort of milage you describe. As soon as it gets loose the gasket will burn/blow. Found this out after 250 miles in my supersport-I'd also lost one of the studs to boot and the exhaust was hanging on by about two threads of the remaining stud. I wondered why the previous owner had a new gasket set in his bits he sent to me.

Just keep checking the bolts and it seems that you could put a split washer in there to try and keep then tight. Good gaskets will also be worth it.

Get it out, the weather's dry

I had a problem with blowing centre gaskets on my x-flow exhaust. At first I thought I had'nt tightened the studs enough, but after blowing a second gasket very soon after replacing it, I found out from Steve Parker that the standard centre exhaust manifold flange is relatively thin, and can bow if it gets very hot and causing the gasket blow. My fix was to replace the Caterham flange with a Van Deiman formula ford item which is approximately 3/4'' thick!. Since this was changed I've had no exhaust problems.

I had the same trouble have fitted several Ford and Burton Gaskets all of which failed sooner or later. I stumped for Roger Kings expensive gaskets and have not had any trouble since. Go buy some - you'll soon forget how much they were when the exhaust stops blowing.

Thanks to all of you for your help, had the flange checked and its perfect so I rang Roger King to order a set of copper gaskets and guess what, he has run out.

Good news is he should have them in again in a couple of week's time, so I am going to leave the car in the garage until I can get a set. Hope the weather is c++p for the next 2 weeks!

Guy Lowe