Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front wheel bearing replacement - what tools ?

I've got a front off side wheel bearing that clicks at slow speed.

When you jack it up and spin the wheel it clicks so it has to be the wheel bearing.

I've bought a new bearing from Caterham last week.

Before I take the wheel off to check, do I need a large socket to undo the centre nut ? If so, what side ?

I'm guessing it's as simple as pop off the brake caliper, undo the centre nut and the hub will pop off ready for me to replace the bearing.

Anything else I should know ?

I've got squeaky brakes on this side too, so I'm going to copper grease the pads too to stop this.

A large adjustable spanner is all you need, but removing the outer bearing races from the aluminium hub isn't easy.

It is well worth doing a search, I found all the information I needed on Blatchat when I did mine over the winter.

Duncan

If you have the original hubs with a smaller outer bearing, you will also have the oldlstyle felt seal at the inner end. It is easy to damage this bit of felt or its mounting cup.

I found the best way to fit it to the hub (after both parts of the larger inner bearing have been fitted) is to stand the hub face down on the studs on the bench, lay the seal on top of the hub in place (felt side upwards) .... put a flat piece of wood over the seal and hit the wood really hard with a hammer !

This pops it into to recess in one go. The metal cup that holds the felt is so soft that if you yry to tap it in gently without the wood, it gets bent .. and easily becomes destroyed.

Removing the old bearing cups ..... there are two slots in the ring in the middle of the hub between the cups. You will see this once you remove all the grease. Use a square drift to tap the old cups out .... each side in turn to keep them square. I use the square spindle from an internal door handle.

Note the felt seal has to be lubricated before you refit the hub to the upright. I recall talk of oil or grease in the past ..... but also recall one is to be avoided !! I think grease is the right stuff to use, but do a search in TechTalk for 'felt and seal' or 'felt and grease' ..... 'since the beginning'.

Don't rely on the grease in the new bearings ..... add your own and work it in well to the rollers.

*arrowup* Blimey that is worrying. *eek*

A bit like a cycling friend of mine (intelligent but zero common sense) who noticed the brake discs were rusty on his mountain bike so gave them a good spray of WD just before we set off for a ride together, the first major junction...he didn't stop!