Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Trunnions

john g

It depends on where the play is.

If it's in the bush that attaches the suspension you can get a kit of parts to sort it out, however if the freedom is between the bronze housing and the bottom of the upright you will probably need a new trunnion.

Be aware they are handed, L & R, if you get new ones, seal the joint on the bottom, where the steel plate is installed with some loctite, not sure which one, but I used wicking grade.

Fill the thing with gearbox oil, rather than grease.

Plenty on B.C. about trunnions.

Have fun.

Nigel.

Make sure you do actually have play. If they don't have enough grease in it may feel like some play. I always pre grease mine prior to an MOT and that's after 28 years of having cars with Triumph Spitfire suspension.

Good luck

Terry

Update, little odd this ....... I assumed wear in the trunnion due to a 1000 mile round trip to the LMC, when cleaning the car I noticed a drop of oil, from the trunnion, on the tyre. I rocked the wheel at 12 & 6 o'clock and felt play and could here a knock/tap noise. Today I've investigated further, wheel off the ground, rock the wheel at 12 & 6 o'clock and yeah, there is play but I can't identify whether it's the trunnion, top link ball joint or top link to chassis bush. There is no play at 9 & 3 o'clock and just to make sure I've ensured the bearing is 'tightened' correctly. I've had a piece of wood under the tyre and used it as a lever to try and exaggerate the play but can't feel or determine where the 'play' is. Anyone any ideas?