Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox Oil Filler plug

Quoting SM25T: 
... or cut a piece off that is just long enough to sit in the socket of the filler plug and also the thickness of a 10mm ratchet spanner ... a bit quicker to operate.
Yes, but it's rather important to use the sort of ratchet spanner that has a lever to control the direction of action rather than the type that has to be turned over...

Another alternative is to cut a hole in the tunnel and access from the cockpit.

More on both of these in the archives.

Jonathan

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Quoting SM25T: 
... or cut a piece off that is just long enough to sit in the socket of the filler plug and also the thickness of a 10mm ratchet spanner ... a bit quicker to operate.
Yes, but it's rather important to use the sort of ratchet spanner that has a lever to control the direction of action rather than the type that has to be turned over...

Another alternative is to cut a hole in the tunnel and access from the cockpit.

More on both of these in the archives.

Jonathan

Surely if there is room to fit the spanner in the first place, you can withdraw it and turn it round ?

Hole in tunnel wall is great ...... if chassis tube not in the way (as it is on mine).

Quoting SM25T: 
Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Quoting SM25T: 
Surely if there is room to fit the spanner in the first place, you can withdraw it and turn it round ?The travel of the plug eats the clearance of the hex stub... and just as the oil gushes out because the gearbox was grossly overfilled you realise that it is indeed a ratchet spanner...

;-)

Jonathan (and don't call me Shirley)

Best tool I ever purchased from Halfords years ago was a bit set (including a 10mm Hex Bit) designed to be used with a ratchet ring spanner (8mm and 10mm) included in the set. The bits have O rings on them to prevent the from falling out of the spanner. It way slimmed that an Allen Key, so have no trouble removing the gearbox plug. Never seen it again in halfords, if I did I think I would buy a spare it's that useful.

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Quoting SM25T: 
Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Quoting SM25T: 
Surely if there is room to fit the spanner in the first place, you can withdraw it and turn it round ?The travel of the plug eats the clearance of the hex stub... and just as the oil gushes out because the gearbox was grossly overfilled you realise that it is indeed a ratchet spanner...

;-)

Jonathan (and don't call me Shirley)

Well, it's hardly a canoe 😬 but it's a good real life example!

Don't try and do it with a cut down Allen key. Just get oily. You'll have plenty of time to clean up before you'd have done it with a cut down.

Jez