Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Changing Zetec Silver-top to Black-top

David Mirylees

Looking at changing my Dunnell 2.0L Zetec Silver top to a 2.0L Black top. Raceline can supply a crated motor at reasonable cost but what other bits will need to be costed as I understand some of the Dunnell parts will need to be replaced.

Has anybody done this 'conversion'?

What's the preferred ECU nowadays? (my Silver top runs the basic Dunnell Clubman 2D ECU)

As always, any helpful suggestions gratefully received *smile*

You can re-use your silvertop sump (assuming wet sump), but will need to add a baffle tray kit, which i got from Scholar. This is the baffle tray fitted to the silver top and requires you to fit the longer silvertop studs and some spacers (Scholar or Dunnel)into the blacktop, so you could re-use your silvertop parts i think, fly wheel and clutch should just swap over. You may also need to adjust the angle of the oil pickup as it sits at a different angle in the blacktop. Not sure about alternator fitting, you may need a new bracket, but should be able to re-use your alternator. I run mine on an old DTA e48 (ebay usually has a few) and it does the job, and gives you the option of injection down the line should you want to go that way.

You may need new engine mounts, but not sure on this one, Raceline should be able to tell you whether they have changed or not.

Edited by - Molecular--Bob on 10 Jul 2014 10:07:45

I did this very same thing.

You will need new Raceline mounts

New alternator bracket

Aux belt tensioner & belt- maybe an alt pulley ( it runs a different way I think)

I went omex 600 with a road loom - loom is (£140). This was miles cheaper than all others & with it mapped I've just returned from an epic Le Mans journey! With no issues-

If I can think of anything else I shall post again