Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres question (Yes I know, but I'm new to this!!)

So currently have 5 (including unused spare bolted to back) ZV3's which are past end of life (i.e. have 2004 date codes 😳)

Planning to replace 4 'on road' tyres with Yoko 048s (which are directional), but dilema is should I buy a fifth for spare and run 50/50 risk of running spare backwards, or should I save my money and use the unused ZV3 which is bi-directional, as spare/emergency tyre.

Also, has anyone got any stats on whether punctures are more common on nearside or offside - i.e. if I went for a fifth 048 which side should I set it up for?

😶‍🌫️

Bob

1 You're about to get answers based on not carrying a spare and suggesting nothing (± 'phone and payment card), sealing foam and bits of rubber that act as plugs.

2 If you aren't happy with that any combination will almost certainly get you home safely as long as you put very little force through it. So I'd use the cheapest and self-control.

Welcome

Jonathan

I suppose one alternative is to find some half decent bi-directional tyres (currently running on 185/60 R14's).

Any suggestions?

Bob

A spare on the back could mitigate the impact of a rear end shunt, one reason I run with that ballast behind, + the usual use of a spare tyre if needed.

Fortunately never had to use it, so just replacing some very elderly Yoko S707 for A021R, in all positions.

Nigel.

I'm in a similar position myself. I kept the best ZV3 as my spare and have never needed to use one in 45,000 miles. Another problem with trying to keep five matching tyres is how to manage tyre rotation. It's much easier to just have front and back axles to worry about. As long as the tyre is not rotten it is good for getting home. I have also considered having a rear wheel cover to prolong the life of the spare but have never seen a cover I like the look of.

Quoting MadCat52: 
I suppose one alternative is to find some half decent bi-directional tyres (currently running on 185/60 R14's).

Any suggestions?

Bob

I managed to wear out my A048 fronts whilst in Ireland earlier this year and had to replace them in a hurry. These were 14" wheels.

The local tyre place had a pair of Vredestein 185/60/14s in stock, so I had those put on.

They were fantastic in the wet, at least as good as CR500) and not bad in the dry (obviously not as good as 48s, but fine for the road).

They are in the shed and have only covered 800 miles, if you are interested in them?

Cheers - Simon

This does raise a question I have been mulling over. Does having a spare behind the back wheels have an impact on handling (I've had 911's and know all about weight behind the back wheels especially on Paddock Hill !) ??

• Area Representative

*arrowup*

Certainly a spare affects the handling. I tried my live axle, crossflow engined

Acadamy car without and it felt jumpy (very subjective impression), put it back on and it felt more settled/planted. However other people's mileage varies.

Im in a similarish position with original zv3 (only 7 yrs old though) and new to sevening. I was going to change them early on for AO21's after reading about them being the best overall. I will still change them but will wait as I'm enjoying getting to know the car with less grip at the mo. Although the more miles ive done the more grip they are giving me back. Its relative I know. Whe I do replace ill keep the brand new zv3 as the spare.

1in7

While my 7 doesn't have a spare, I've always treated the spare as a "get me home" tyre.

On my tin top, I have a full size spare that I keep a part-worn tyre on. Whenever I get new tyres (I tend to change them just before reaching the 2mm marker), I take the best looking one and use that as the spare. It means my spare never gets too old.

I appreciate that many of us wear down our tyres to bone on trackdays though so it might not be the best approach for a 7!

15 years of 7 ownership, always carried a spare and never had a puncture. There must be space / weight saver type wheel for us more paranoid owners. Anyone have a suggestion that doesn’t look too embarrassing? I run 13’’ on de dione.

Simon - thanks for the offer, but really looking for a matched set of 4 tyres (i.e. with same date codes etc)

Martin

[Have you considered Yoko AO21's?

They are better in the wet than 48's.]

In my research came across this review which suggests 48's ok in the wet?

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
Recently fitted Toyo Proxie T1 Rs to my 7 & dry grip is infinitely better than ZV3s, although you can still get the back out if you try. Handling & steering feel is good. Yet to try in the wet but from previous experience with these tyres on a Subaru Impreza they weren't bad. At £67 a corner they were good value as well.