Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wiper Fuse Keeps Blowing

I had a great trip this weekend. I can highly recommend Dolffanog Fach at the base of Cadir Idris just outside Dolgellau for those wanting a Luxury B&B with good off road parking for their Caterham.

Anyway, the issue... We got half way there in good weather then had to put the hood on and use the wipers. Every now and then the wiper fuse would blow. I had taken spare fuses so in some ways not a big deal but none the less a little annoying. It wasn't constant use that was blowing the fuse but more when you tried to switch the wipers on slowly to make sure you didn't go straight to high speed. To me it therefore seems to be a faulty switch but thought I would ask in case someone has had a similar experience. I have not taken the switch apart yet.

There are a few reports in the archives. Advice seems to be to check for wiring problems such as damaged insulation, but I'm not sure anyone ever found any.

One member fitted a resettable breaker rather than a fuse.

I'd get the switch out and have a play, clean it and, if that doesn't fix it replace it.

Jonathan

Are we sure that the fuse is specified correctly? CC have form for underating fuses so you could try the next 'size' up. I wouldn't normally advocate this approach but DC motors can draw a high initial current at start up which falls once it's running. If there's a wiring fault the higher rated fuse should still blow Suggestion only of course, at your own risk!

Given the manual didn't label the fuse as being for the wipers but it clearly was, then it may be the case that it is the wrong size. It was a 7.5A that was in there.