Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

High Ratio brake pedal question

Hi, I just got the high ratio brake pedal in an attempt to fix a spongy feel to the pedal. Endless attempts to bleed the brakes were also performed. Anyone nows if the high ratio pedal is supposed to fit a 2012 academy 125 sigma car? Even thought the pivot seems to fit the master cylinder attachment point is smaller and it also seems to be slightly off centre with the master cylinder, was it presumptuous to assume a straight swap?

unfortunately many people seem to experience spongy brake problems in the newer cars including me (and lots of others) in the Academy last year. Since Girling stopped making the master cylinders the one that replaces it isn't very good (I had 2 fail, 1 only lasted an hour on track). On top of this the remanufactured rear callipers are also prone to leaking. If you can find an old style Girling master cylinder (there are still a few new ones around I believe) this might help, or fit the uprated model instead.

Back to the question though - I know that a lot of the roadsporters have fitted the high effort pedal to their ex academy cars so it must be possible but I don't know how hard it is to do.

According to Caterham the high effort pedal was designed for the old chassis but fits with some "fettling" (I got one of the teams to do mine). Why they can't update it to directly fit the chassis they have been selling for years is somewhat beyond me....

Edited by - CB on 5 Jul 2014 11:14:31

Thanks everyone, no end to the knowledge on this forum, after some fiddling decided to work harder on bleeding the brakes, to install the high effort pedal I would have to grind down the support where the pedals pivot bolt is, making this a non reversible change, as don't know if I would like the pedal seems a risky move, will either try to return or sell it on. Shame that caterham does not have this sorted as even if the pedal went in it would be too close to the accelerator.

Caterham told me for ages it was normal. Got a second hand girling and Lo and behold all my issues went away. Now I've got some time I'm going to strip down the old one and see what went wrong.

P.s. I fitted a high effort pedal to my 08 metric chassis no problem when I thought it would improve things. Not sure it has but it shortened the stroke considerably. Drilled an extra hole for the brake mc as it was a little too extreme...

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 6 Jul 2014 11:05:01

I think I know what goes wrong with them John. There is a hole that allows the fluid into the cylinder, when you apply the brake the internal seal passes that hole then the pressure can build up and operate the wheel cylinders. It appears that as the seal passes the hole it catches and is damaged (possibly even being pushed up into the hole slightly IYSWIM) and once there is a tiny bit of damage to this seal you can't maintain a steady pressure as the fluid passes the seal. In short it is not a great piece of engineering . . . .

If you find something different it'd be good to hear *thumbup*

Quoting Grubbster: 
I think I know what goes wrong with them John. There is a hole that allows the fluid into the cylinder, when you apply the brake the internal seal passes that hole then the pressure can build up and operate the wheel cylinders. It appears that as the seal passes the hole it catches and is damaged (possibly even being pushed up into the hole slightly IYSWIM) and once there is a tiny bit of damage to this seal you can't maintain a steady pressure as the fluid passes the seal. In short it is not a great piece of engineering . . . .

If you find something different it'd be good to hear *thumbup*

I believe there was talk at some point of shimming it to reduce this effect, but damned if I know how you'd do that! I'm not that brilliant an engineer, Ian James will attest to that *wink*

On the off chance that I need to go on the AP brake upgrade path sooner, is there a part number for the AP master cylinder? or any place to get other than CC?

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping it simple, it is possible that you are not bleeding the brakes properly through no fault of yours. If you are using the brake up / brake down process, it is possible to draw air back into the system as you release the brake pedal. Invest £20 or so on an Ezibleed system which pressurises the system and you can then be sure that you are not sucking air back in.

Terry

On a 125bhp car you do not need bigger brakes. You need properly functioning ones. The race MC doesn't require new calipers/discs (unless you want them to look bling) and are more than capable of overcoming even slick tyres.

Jez

Thanks for the reply I already invested on a eazybleed but will probably invest on the ap mc to be on the safe side, Agree that for 125bhp upgrading brakes would be unecessary, the only valid reason to upgrade the rear brakes was to avoid this bleeding issue, this should not be this hard... oh well....

I'm really fussy about brakes, took me forever to find the perfect set up.

You will sort your problem with the uprated MC and high ratio pedal. We use a different fluid and pads as well but this is more for fade. Mine are rock solid, no sponge, no fade and no dead zone.

Speak to CC midlands or one of the caterham races teams.

Good luck, j