Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front Knocking Noise - Maybe Hub Bearings?

Not been on here for a while - been enjoying the car!

Anyway... Upon delivery I had a small knocking noise which appeared to be coming from the drivers side front wheel... I tried to identify it, but couldn't and couldn't see anything fouling anywhere, thought it'd be just one of those noises.

The noise has been getting progressively louder / more prominent, so I jacked the car up this evening and span the front wheels to compare the two. The drivers side definitely makes a clunking noise every rotation or so... don't think it's the wheel weights, so am thinking it's the front hub / bearing not being greased properly which I've previously heard about...

Any ideas would be welcome?!?

As it is under warranty, you'd better not do anything in case it becomes your fault *rolleyes*

If the bearing is the cause you should be able to feel some play in the wheel, but dodgy bearing usually rumble rather than clunk and mine were on the way out due to lack of grease and yet didn't make any noise spinning the wheel.

It might be worth looking for a cracked or warped disc.

Duncan

Quoting SM25T: 
There have been many instances of bearings not being greased very well.

Sounds like failing roller in a bearing .... or bearing adjustment ... or cracked brake disc maybe ?

Cheers for the quick responses guys - I'll check out the disc and pad tomorrow. It's going back for it's 1,000 mile service on Thursday, so if it is bearing related and as others have mentioned it's under warranty, I'll get them to do that!

Quoting Martin Jeffrey: 
Is the paintwork holding up well to the rigours of regular use?
Just coming up to 1,000 miles and the paintwork is all like new - not a stone chip in sight. The stone chip protection film is doing a very good job.

Quoting ChrisC: 
Front pads rattling in the calliper maybe? Does the noise go when you feather the brakes? My old four pots did that.
mine are four pots too, so I'll be sure to check that - cheers *thumbup*

Do you have spiral-grooves on your discs? My front pads used to (probably still do - but I can't hear as well as I used to!) ride up the grooves and then drop back.

I can't recall if you could hear this on the go - but I do remember it as a red-herring when fiddling with the car on the jack.