Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Seat runners

Golf Juliet Tango

• Area Representative

Several points:

- is there a better solution to fixing them to the floor with hex head bolts? It annoys me that the fit is too tight to put a socket over the head but not tight enough for the bolt to hold in position (it's poor design work in my opinion). I wondered if anyone used socket headed bolts?

- what is the specification for the bolts? I know that they are M6x24 but is there a steel spec for them?

- I find I need to remove them to regrease the runners so that I can continue to adjust the seat. I have been using lithium grease but it clearly gets washed out (for want of a better phrase) with the road grit and damp which gets everywhere in a Caterham (I'm talking about Seven and 21 here). Is there a better material to use?

• Area Representative

Hi Shaun

Thank you.

I did wonder about that. What puts me off is that one of the nylocs was so locked into position I had to cut it off (once I had thoroughly rounded the thing off - both a 13mm and a 1/2" socket just spun around.

• Leadership Team

Or fasten the bolts on the underside of the runners with some low height Nyloc nuts. This had the added advantage of raising the runner slightly off the floor and reduces the amount of grit/water that gets in.

Stu.

Stu

I'd be concerned that all your weight is now sitting on 4 small nuts resting on thin alloy. Normal fixing of the runners spreads the weight over a large area. Might be worth checking *wavey*

Welding works for me .....

Edited by - ECR on 3 Jul 2014 15:43:40

Have found this stuff great as a dry lubricant - avoids the problems of wet lubricants attracting grot.

Bob

Edited by - MadCat52 on 3 Jul 2014 16:31:10

• Leadership Team

Roger, I've done mine this way for the last 15 years with both standard and lowered floors and not had any issues. But then again I'm only 12½ stone wet through!

Stu.

Hi Stephen,

I changed mine the first time I had to get them out, as it is a stupid idea! I just fitted allen head bolts instead. Very easy to hold with an allen key.

I used stainless bolts, some will say that maybe they should be high tensile, but personally I think that's OTT, and they don't corrode.

Oz.

• Area Representative

Nigel - rather what I thought *thumbup*

Stu - weight is ok - I'm significantly lighter than that, wet or dry (frequently wet through in the Seven *rolleyes*). I think I prefer the cap bolts.

Bob - I may give that a try, the grease certainly gets fluff from the carpets (which also hold damp). I'll probably swap to rubber under the seats (the 21 has carpet, my Seven is bare ali under the seats).