Click here if you are having website access problems ×

chassis blasting and re-coating

Anthony

Just missed Bruce at Arch today !

Has anyone experience of chassis blasting and re-coating ?

I assume everything comes off the chassis

Is the quality of the powder coating up to standard - there have been some issues with coating/delay in applying coating over the years

Anyone recall how much it cost ?

All help much appreciated

Kind regards

Anthony

VX the real way sideways

Hi Anthony

My chassis could do with powder coating in places, and my side panels have had the flared wing holes filled by its previous owner. Since the car looks very tidy at the moment I have decided to paint the areas on the chassis that need attention this year, and I will send it to arch later (maybe next year)

I was at Arch today dropping off a few parts to be powder coated and I investigate the cost of re-powder coating the chassis, with new side and rear panels with the spare wheel carrier removed with Bruce. He quoted me 1800 + Vat.

Your chassis will be powder coated as a new chassis so the result should be as good as new. Bruce has also informed me that the process was changed about three years ago to include a Zinc based primer, which should keep the rust at bay (for a little longer hopefully)

Bruce advised that they tend to do a re-powder coat chassis at the rate of about one a month, so unless they are stock pilling customer chassis I take it that the process will take about a month before the chassis is returned.

The cost I was quoted was for a completely stripped chassis, so there is a lot of work involved in this procedure (more than an initail build). The only good news is no SVA at the end of it

Hope this Helps

Chris.

H15SVN Get It!

Its so expensive as the old powdercoating is a batsrad to get off. I had to remove some last year on some parts I was having recoated, and used both heat,chemical and sand blasters, and fun it was not . None of the methods I used were really satisfactory. I wanted to try a powerful acid but there was no-one local so reverted to the above. The actual powdercoating itself would be less than 20% of the cost.

New Chassis is about £3200+Vat and you have to surrender the old unit if you want to keep your original chassis number. Arch can add any mods you like during the repowder coating process. I would prefer a new unit, would make the job easier having both chassis side by side.

Chris..

H15 SVN Get It!

£3,200 + VAT. What does that include or is it just the new chassis? Keep wondering whether to have a new chassis, have the old one re-done, or just trade the car in for another one. (Not that there's very much wrong with it anyway, just like bright and shiny better than dull)

Tomorrow's a good day for it!

Thanks Guys,

I will speak to Bruce today.

It seems such a shame to take a good chassis apart, so I will see if there is any interest. Given the amount of kit for sale on blatchat it would be a cheap starting point.

The chassis was to have mods for VX and upgrades as discussed before

If the chassis is panelled and a sensible price is made for my chassis, I will look at new chassis and SVA - if not my one gets stripped down

Best regards

It's Just a New Chassis, so add £1K for, extras like powder coating suspenstion, painting, new bolts ect, ect. This list is endless.

My guess is £3.5K for a strip of old chassis and make like new, or £5.5K for the same with a new chassis. This is based on doing all the sripping and rebuild work myself, powder coating by Arch and painting by a local company.

No SVA needed for a rebuild, and I like not having a Cat to worry about at MOT time, so its a rebuild for me (but only when the outside of the car looks bad).

Currently I am working on the chassis of my car cleaning off rust and repainting where I can until the rebuild takes place.

Chris...

I took my bare chassis (stripped the ali off myself) to Arch last year. Cost c£2500 for shotblast, replacement of 4 rusty tubes, removal of spare wheel carrier and mods to transmission tunnel and front lower wishbone mounts, and a reskin. Paint at Arch cost another £500 (black).