Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Newbie tyre question

Hi

I am sorry in advance for a question on tyres, I appreciate it is a topic with many treads.

I bought my first 7 last year - a 12 yr old Roadsport SV with 16" wheels shod with Avon ZZ1 (205/45/16). The tyres were clearly not that new (!) but one now has an irrepairable puncture and one tyre has a crack across the whole tread so I need some replacements - probably all 4. I would appreciate a little advice.

I am thinking about doing the odd sprint in the future so searched the forum for tyre stuff. The problem seems to be the wheel size in that most of the 'recommended' tyres do not seem to be available in 16" or expensive (£200+) and at this stage, I do not feel able to make the leap to buy a whole new set of wheels to go with tyres. So, after bit of searching I came across Yoko AD08R as a track/road option but I have not seen them mentioned on the 7 forums. Would they be good for 7 or should I go back with Avon (ZZ3?) or something else.

Any help much appreciated.

Jon

• Support Team

AD08R are list 1B but the normal AD08 is list 1A so it depends which class you fancy for sprinting. As a 1B tyre the AD08R is unlikely to be anywhere near as good as Supersoft Kumho V70a or Avon ZZR but I am pretty sure a few class 1 and 2 runners use the AD08.

For road use I am sure the AD08R would be fine and certainly better than many alternatives.

Not looked for while, but as an SV owner running 16's the Avon ZZ3's, I've been pleased.

Need to look around again probably later this year for my next set of tyres.

So overall, ZZ3's have been fine for me, good in wet and fine for dry roads. Not used them on track, other than as WET tyres, where they have been fine.

• Area Representative

Toyo R1R tyres are available in 16" . . .

I've just removed my 15" anthracites shod with Avon CR500 tyres to go back to my beloved 16" wheels now. Anyone looking for 15" wheels and tyres?

I only dropped to 15" as I couldn't get super sticky in 15", but the Toyo R1R has cured all that.

Beryl is back to her former HPC glory again 😬

I have the Yokos AD08R fitted to my Clio Cup and I have to say that as a track tyre on a tin top they really are superb.

On track in the wet I can corner far far faster in the Clio than I can in my 7 even with soft AO21's fitted. The grip levels from the AD08Rs is simply amazing braking and cornering.

They are a bit square edged so on a 7 I would think that they will tram-line somewhat.

I would have no hesitation in replacing like for like when the time comes. *thumbup*

I compete in class 2 of the clubs speed championship, and several of us use the older (no longer available) AD08 tyres on 15" wheels as they are a very good "List 1A" (road) tyre. They are as good or better than other List 1A tyres, but thats not saying much - List 1A is for "normal" road tyres.

AD08R are supposedly a bit softer, which moves them to "List 1B" where they will be against serious track focussed tyres.

AD08s are fine on the road - sidewall is quite stiff though. I'm told they work well on track days when they get some heat in them. I guess AD08Rs will be slightly better.

You might find a second set of cheap 13" wheels with best available List 1A or 1B tyres works out cheaper in the long run, plus 16" wheels won't be ideal for sprinting.

BUT above all - please do try sprinting, on whatever wheels/tyres, and don't feel you have to spend lots of money up front to be competitive.

AB

Quoting gileshudson: 
Toyo R1R tyres are available in 16" . . .

I've just removed my 15" anthracites shod with Avon CR500 tyres to go back to my beloved 16" wheels now. Anyone looking for 15" wheels and tyres?

I only dropped to 15" as I couldn't get super sticky in 15", but the Toyo R1R has cured all that.

Beryl is back to her former HPC glory again 😬

££'s?