Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oils

Hi

I am getting near completion of my Supersport R (2.0 Duratec). Any recommendations for Engine and Gearbox oil?

Many thanks

Will

Take it or leave it, but this is what I did, for what it's worth:

Simple running-in mineral oil first (changed for more of the same at 500 miles).

Proper 5W50 semi-synth at 1000 miles.

There are some doubts about how well an engine can be broken in using semi or fully synthetic oil...

Jules

I agree with Dave

Once past this I would move to a proper "full ester based" synthetic.

There are so many posts on here as to which oil people prefer you would be forgiven for getting confused.

This is one such post here

My track car get the nuts screwed off it every time it goes out. It lives between 5 an 8k

I use 5 w40 Titan rece oil that I change every 12 hours or 500 to 600 miles running.

I wouldn't stint on oil or use anything else.

But it all depends on how you intend to use the car.

Hi Will,

I've got the same car and here's what I decided on:

Gearbox:

Redline MTL - gear change is lovely

Engine:

Millers Running in Oil - 10w 40 (first 500 miles)

Comma semi synthetic (next 750 miles)

Swapped it to Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 10w 40 @ 1250 miles

So I've basically gone:

- mineral

- semi synthetic

- ester synthetic

I plan to leave it on the Pro S for the reminder of its life.

There's plenty of other alternative methods that will no doubt work equally well. I do think its worth considering running it on mineral oil initially though to help get the rings bedded in.

Tom

I'd be using the free millers *arrowup* for 200 miles driven hard, using full rpm range (assuming you have a good engine map)

Then a fully synthectic 5w-30 oil Opie have several options but Fuchs are worth a look.

MTL meets the same spec as the CC (Comma) oil and this works very well in 5 speeders.

Edited by - 7 wonders of the world on 30 Jun 2014 23:33:03

Quoting william.hindmarch: 
Thanks Tom, very kind. Can't wait to get the car on the road and I hope you are enjoying yours.

Which exact Redline Gear Oil did you use - there seem to be a lot!

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=7

Many thanks

Will

It's actual name is Redline MTL. It's this one here. I've no affiliation with Opie but it's where I got mine from. It's this one here (you'll need 2 bottles):

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1019-red-line-synthetic-manual-transmission-lubricant-mtl-75w-80-gl4.aspx

Tom

Great thanks Tom - assuming you have a 5 speed box like mine - not sure if mine is Ford or Mazda - does that make a difference? Which do you have?

I take a very simple line on this. These are Ford components engineered for a 300,000 km life when using the recommended fluids and pulling something much heavier than a Caterham around. I just follow Caterham's recommendations - the rest of the car will fall apart long before the engine or gearbox...

Quoting william.hindmarch: 
Great thanks Tom - assuming you have a 5 speed box like mine - not sure if mine is Ford or Mazda - does that make a difference? Which do you have?

Yup I've got the 5 speed Ford box and I suspect you do as well. See where reverse is on the box so as to double check

I have drained a couple of five speeds by drilling a 8,5mm hole in the bottom and tapping it 1/8 BSP.

You have to drill a horizontal hole towards the rear of the main casing from the drivers side on the flat ridge in the centre of the housing about 50mm from the rear its a oil channel that drains the box 100%.