Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ignition light constantly on.

Big Bad Baz

• 3 weeks later...

Right. Finally received and got round to fitting the new regulator. After charging the battery, I fired her up and guess what?

The ignition light is still staying on.

However, it does noticeably dim when revs are raised to about 3000 - but never actually goes out.

The belt is as tight as it should be - should I now be ordering a new alternator?

• Leadership Team

Without wanting to state the obvious, buy yourself a multi meter. Easy to use & not expensive and I can pretty much guarantee that this this will not be the only time it will come in useful! Something like this here

Also worth looking for alternator reconditioning places (see Yellow Pages) - they will normally test a unit to diagnose the problem for free and repair is cheaper than new....

Michael

Edited by - Mcalvert on 7 Aug 2014 11:14:03

Echo the impact wrench comment. I have a cordless electric impact gun and it was effortless to swap the pulleys over. You just need to be careful that the belt runs perfectly straight once you've refitted the old pulley, otherwise it will wear out prematurely or get thrown off. I swapped the old shielded fan over as well, as I didn't fancy the risk of debris getting into the alternator. Also marked the nut and thread so that I could see quickly if the nut was beginning to back off.

• 2 weeks later...

Right. Pulley replaced (a local garage did it for a fiver!), new alternator fitted (I swear I could remove one blindfolded now) and guess what?

My ignition light has gone out and "Napoleon" is back on the road. A good blat to work last night to (literally) blow away the cobwebs. All gauges AOK, no horrible surprises from the enforced time off.

As always, thanks for the advice, POB.