Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Slow turning over when hot!

Clawhammer

My 1800 k series super light has recently become a problem to start when hot. It is not the K click, the starter engages but only just manages to turn the engine over. I have replaced the battery, this has not made any difference. I have cleaned the earth straps from the battery to the engine and from the chassis to the engine. The car starts fine when cold. Could the starter be the problem?

Robin

Yeah - that would be my guess from experience too. A high-resistance connection that gets worse with temp. Wrapping the starter might not help if the problem is already there - and the wrap can also keep heat in, so may exacerbate the issue.

Can you borrow someone else's starter for a while? It's not a big job to swap.

As I've had this problem myself, a couple of times, this is how I cured it (assuming all wiring connections are in good condition):

NEW STARTER............

Starters do deteriorate over time & have a hard life in a Caterham. Usually the internal resistance increases &/or mechanical internals deteriorate & the battery has a hard time (even when in good condition) turning the engine.

For me a starter lasts about 6 or 7 years.

*arrowup* Agree with Mick. *arrowup*

Started OK cold but gradually got worse & worse trying to start when hot.

Took the starter round to the local auto electrical guru who found the internals fried.

Can't complain as the starter was date stamped 1998 *eek*

New starter + feeds = problem solved *cool*

Al

My Vx fails to start when hot and I've changed almost everything, including removing the starter motor and replacing the bushes. On the bench it works fine, as it does when cold!

It looks like replacing the whole starter is the only option left; however, I was going to see if it was the 12v feed affecting it when hot or just a knackered starter motor. I was going to jury rig a second feed from the 12v terminal via a switch to the solenoid and use this if it didn't turn over properly with the ignition key when hot. If it did turn over with the second feed, when it wouldn't with the first, it would imply there is an issue with the 12v feed and not with the starter motor.

Edited by - keybaud on 23 Jun 2014 16:48:51

I found replacing the 12 volt cable to the starter solenoid did the trick. I also found it had already been replaced once. Solved all my hot starting issues for about 3 years.

Wired in an extra cable from The battery to under the steering wheel and another to the solenoid, when the car was hot and wouldn't start I just touched the two cables and off I went.

Good luck

Quoting rjnewman: 
I found replacing the 12 volt cable to the starter solenoid did the trick. I also found it had already been replaced once. Solved all my hot starting issues for about 3 years.
Was that the high current lead from the battery or the low current from the switch?

There have been several reports where replacing either of these has fixed the problem. I haven't yet heard of anyone dissecting one to see what has happened inside.

Jonathan