Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Superlight 150 upgrade path?

smemly

Hi Guys,

After a few months of owning my Caterham superlight 150 I am starting to look at upgrade options. The car has been an absolute hoot to drive, we've been to the Dunsfold handling day, two track evenings at Knockhill and been driven from the South East of England up to Glasgow. We'll be making the return run this week.

Now I'm completely hooked, I'm starting to think about what to do next. Knockhill is a fantastic little circuit but even there I could see that more power would be useful, as you get very few clear laps before you get held up through the corners by lardy powerful cars & then dropped on the straights. I'm planning to do more track days and attend the odd hill climb, so clearly I want more !!!! (Note I said want, over need here)

My preferred path is upgrade what I have, rather than buy a replacement car& I'm looking to get up to r400 levels of performance.

Question is, has anyone done a sigma to duratec upgrade & who did you use to source the parts required?

Cheers

Lee

Cheers guy, I know a new car would be the simplest path but that's not necessarily what I'm looking for. When you add up what it's going to cost and what I'd loose on my current car, I'm looking to see if there are other alternatives.

Spent years and way too much money modifying bikes and see this as a chance to do something similar to my car. There maybe a rude awakening when I scare myself with how much it'll all cost.

I've seen the Premier Performance website, was a little concerned about the longevity of such a highly strung 1.6 but I have to admit it does appeal.

Garth, I'll drop you an email in a bit.

Quoting smemly: 
I've seen the Premier Performance website, was a little concerned about the longevity of such a highly strung 1.6 but I have to admit it does appeal.

Smemly,

I would advise you pop over and see Stuart and take a look at his operation, or ring him. I'm sure you could book a test drive of the 200bhp Sigma version if you wanted. I would personally have no issues with the longevity of his engines. The amount is R&D and testing he does is pretty reassuring.

Oli

I've investigated the Premier Power option(s).

I have a similar desire to upgrade the car I have (supersport 140) rather than get a different car. Probably because I built it and have a lot of time, blood sweat and tears invested. I suspect this is the more expensive route though.

I think I will go for the 175 🥰 option as I think it gives the best value/performance of the 3 options. *cool*

I was invited to PP's open day but unfortunately couldn't make it.

The car is still under warranty so I suspect it will be late next year at the earliest that I upgrade.

Look forward to hearing what you decide to do.

Tom *wavey*