Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cycle wings nudging Indicator Pods

Pete Underhill

It's been puzzling me why my front indicator pods seem to turn inward of their own volition. I've not seen cross eyed indicators on any other Seven.

Tonight, after replacing a disintegrated pod, I found the inner corner of my cycle wings, even before full lock, is touching the black plastic pod and nudging them inward.

Does anyone else have similar experience and, if so, what witchcraft is required. I've already sacrificed the albino goat on a full moon. That didn't work, unfortunately for the goat.

MIght be because you have an early style rack - which have a wider angle of movement lock-to-lock.

It is possible to fit some form of ring/clamp on the rack to act as an earlier end-stop (I did it to a rack a number of years ago).

Have no pictures of what I did then - but think I still have one of the clamps in the garage somewhere which I can take a piccie of,

(THe above may or course NOT be the cause),

Edited to add to OBNS comment - Mine don't, at least not that I've noticed

Dave

Edited by - DaveMorris on 17 Jun 2014 23:09:56

• Area Representative

Quoting Pete Underhill: 
It's been puzzling me why my front indicator pods seem to turn inward of their own volition. I've not seen cross eyed indicators on any other Seven.

Tonight, after replacing a disintegrated pod, I found the inner corner of my cycle wings, even before full lock, is touching the black plastic pod and nudging them inward.

Does anyone else have similar experience and, if so, what witchcraft is required. I've already sacrificed the albino goat on a full moon. That didn't work, unfortunately for the goat.

They all do that with narrow track. The cure is to go wide track.

Thanks for the responses. Apart from correcting the fouling of the indicators, what noticeable difference would there be in handling between standard and wide track on an S3?

Is it a big job and what does it cost? These last two questions seem to crop up frequently for me.

Quoting Paul Richards: 
Quoting Pete Underhill: 

They all do that with narrow track. The cure is to go wide track.

No....the cure is to go clamshell *tongue* *wink*

• Area Representative

Quoting Pete Underhill: 
Apart from correcting the fouling of the indicators, what noticeable difference would there be in handling between standard and wide track on an S3?

Is it a big job and what does it cost? These last two questions seem to crop up frequently for me.[/pQuote

Unless you are Lewis Hamilton I doubt you would notice much difference on the road.

Cost? New upper and lower wishbones. New anti roll bar. New brake hoses. New rack or extensions to existing one. Search the Caterham on line store for prices.

I built my standard (narrow) track and noticed this problem so angled the indicators in slightly. Some time later it was pointed out to me that the camber on my 7 seemed greater than the rest in the row(!) Bought a camber gauge and found that I did indeed have more than I should. After re-setting there was much less risk of clash, so re-set the indicators. On the down side, the car doesnt turn in quite as quick now... 😶‍🌫️

• Area Representative

Peter

The other thing worth checking is that your tracking is central. In other words, do you have more lock on one side or is one wing catching your light more than another?

Doesn't look too bad if both lights are just a little bit turned in.