Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Wind Deflectors

RDEX

I have just been given a pair of wind deflectors for use when doors are removed.

I haven’t tried then in anger yet, but they look as if they should have the bottom quarter bent in to allow force the rest of the deflector out into the airflow.

I see several other people have tried this approach, but I am a bit concerned about heating the Perspex too much and damaging or clouding it. I guess that hot water is the best way. But does anyone have any other advice or can put my concerns at rest?

I am not sure hot water would get it hot enough.

I wouldn't worry about over heating it. I did mine over an electric toaster and this worked well as it was easy to move about, and it gave a good bending line. The trick is to do it slowly and then keep trying it as once it becomes flexible it does so quickly.

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

I used hot water heated in the micro wave and it worked fine. I love 'em, even if thnere is still some mighty disturbance. I can actually breathe BETTER, but that's me eh? Having seen the damage created at eye level by a stone on my full 'screen I thank g*d I sold my Aeros to Chris C7CAT Alston! *eek*. I also fitted a modified parabolic blind spot mirror to the deflector on my side so rearward visability is maintained.

Clamshell Club Founder Member.

I brought mine from Caterham (part No:WD01) and they were already formed/bent at the bottom. They are an improvement but mine tend to flap about a bit at low speeds.

Guy Lowe

I could always go faster?

Edited by - Guy Lowe on 2 Jan 2003 22:32:14

Chris - crash helmet stops the stones.

Guy - they do come with a bend, but you can improve the amount of wind deflection by bending them a bit more, maybe 10-15 degrees further. Just make sure you don't go so far that they don't then miss the scuttle and flap about. You could try a blob of bluetack on the corner to keep them in place.

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

Phil.

It was a crash helmet that actually broke my neck so I have mixed feeling about 'em (+ limited vision for on road as opposed to on-track situations IMHO).Inconvenience of carry them when you've got somewhere blah blah. Each to their own though.

Rob,

Flap around? Ah, I forgot to mention I modified my second-hand set (C/o Keith 'boss man' Jecks) by firstly altering the std bend radius (as already stated). Secondly, I replaced the lower stick-on clear 'button' (protector) with a rubber foot pad as used on hi-fi equipment (from Maplins).These are about 10 mm tall and allow the fixing screw to be lost inside the button and increase the angle at which the deflector sits in relation to the 'screen. This needed to be drilled through and the retaining screw and small nut I used held a strap. That strap was the same as used to retain the side door flaps/lower half (I had two spares) and attaches to the tonneau snap-on connector on the bodywork.

Result:- Stable wind deflectors which don't mark the body work and also don't pivot forward under hard braking! *thumbup*

Clamshell Club Founder Member.

Agree with Phil on this one. Wind deflectors stayed on the car 6 months ( I have never had side screens or roof )

Aeroscreens will be on next years Christmas pressie list - if you can get a second hand scuttle painted the swop over is very eash ie aeros during summer and screen for winter !

Regards