Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Brake upgrades

SJL

harder pads will sort it but with two caveats -

1) the pads won't work well from cold. although i think the RS14 do, but hey cost several times as much and increase disk wear

2) extreme cases may end up boiling the fluid although the brakes are fine.

I have big fronts and small rear brakes. Using 1144 pads on the front i cooked them on an airfield day. I've moved to red stuff but the feel is less good. I'm planning on going to the uprated rear disks (to get 2 pot instead of a nasty claw 1 pot) and then probably rs 14 all round. although i need to chat to people to confirm the pad choice.

Peter C's recommendation is to go for the vented rear disks. the bias is then slightly rear ward so he then uses a bias valve to set it to taste. The problem is that there is no handbrake solution for this at MOT time.

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

Hoopy,

Rally Design sell a neat little mechanical caliper for £45 that will accomodate the rear vented discs up to 20.8mm thick if you are set on this upgrade. IMO the claw caliper is more than up to the job if the correct pads are fitted. The problem with this caliper and the caterham installation is that its fed by solid pipes which is poor engineering as part of the caliper floats, this can work harden and cause the flared ends to fail it also can act as a spring disturbing the position of the floating part of the caliper and thus seating of the pads each time you take your foot off the brakes. This is partly resposible for the poor peddle feel. The rigid pipes also make it very difficult to successfully bleed the calipers. I have also noted on my car that under hard use the rear discs are expanding and hitting the fixed portion of the calipers. If these problems are addressed by installing flexible hoses and reducing the diameter of the discs by about a mm, I can see no reason why the claw calipers should not do the job I have no problem with bite,breaking effort, or fade . Another important point to watch out for is pad wear when using these calipers, if the pads get below half worn 4MM the floating part of the caliper can foul the radius arms.

Rob

Edited by - Rob walker on 4 Jan 2003 09:13:50

Rob - lots of VERY interesting stuff there.... *thumbup*

I'm still thinking about brakes and the engine, dash and cage are all ahead on the todo list. I think brakes are fighting with second set of wheels/tyres for 4th on the list.

Do you have any urls for info on the std rear caliper bveing ok and a rally equip URL 🤔

cheers *thumbup* *smile*

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

For what it's worth at this stage in proceedings, I use Wilwood Dynalite 2 calipers on my Westfield with solid 247mm discs and Hawk Black ferro carbon pads.

Coupled to an AP m/c and with aeroquip hose throughout the car, and a bias valve to cure the rearward brake bias, the pedal feel is excellent (rock solid) and the stopping capability is very impressive.

OK, they don't have dust seals but for the sake of cleaning the calipers every couple of months I'm not that bothered about that. The Hawk pads do eat the discs but since a pair of Cortina discs is cheaper than the pads....

I did initially try Red Stuff pads but, like Hoopy, found them a bit dead - no feel and not at all confidence inspiring.

I agree with Steve. Lack of seals is not really a problem if the materials used are OK. I ran a Mini with four pot ali calipers with no seals for two winters with no problems. Motorcycles sometimes don't have seals as there is no room to accomodate them.

I bought some Wilwoods as the price was amazingly good from Rallye Design. I'll be fitting these soon in conjunction with modified Lotus Elan + 2 discs (244 mm diameter instead of 232 mm) and Hawk HP Plus pads. The discs have been reduced in thickness from 12.5 mm to 10mm and have been crossdrilled. I've left the discs on the thick side as the Hawk pads have a reputaion for eating discs. The extra thickness allows me to give them a couple of skims if neccessary. Didn't want to go to vented discs due to weight and cost. The Elan discs (same as Triumph GT6) can be bought for around £15.00.

I think I will probably have to reduce braking at the back. I'll suck it and see. At a later date I also want to put ali calipers at the back to reduce weight.

AMMO