Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre Conversion Help?

ChrisC

21's = ARSE *wink*

If you want to sell your ACB10's I'll have the 7 inchers... but be quick... I'll be buying some new tyres very soon. Email me direct please.

IME you can drive normally on ACB10's even in the wet. They're only a bit scary in standing water but I avoid puddles as best as I can anyway. You do have to warm them up a bit but with 20 million horsepower I don't find that a problem.

I'm actually going to buy some CR500's (I think) for my second set of wheels but this is only because we're going to be driving through the mountains on the way to Italy later this year, and the weather may include snow. If it wasn't for this little detail, I'd stick with ACB10's for all purposes. I've managed water-filled ruts in Finnish roads at speeds close to 100mph. Although I needed a clean pair of shorts after one particular overtaking incident, I still think ACB10's are suitable road tyres. *thumbup*

I could try to explain why I hated the 21's but ... oh OK, it's simply because my experience is with big fat wide ACB10's and 200bhp. By comparison, iddy piddly 6 inch 21's were for children with elastic band engines. 😬

Yours contraversially.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

BTW, if Yokohama produced tyres that would fit on my SLR rims I might be tempted to try a slightly larger set of 21's but to be honest the CR500's weigh so much less and work well on crossply camber settings so I probably wouldn't.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

I've got some A021s on order from George Polley, but apparently there is no UK stock of these at the moment, and I've got to wait until the end of the month before they arrive. ☹️

IMHO the A021s are very a good all-round tyre and not too expensive. A032s are a bit better in the dry and not quite so good in the wet.

Rob (in an elastic band, 130bhp se7en - and very proud of it) 😬

Thanks for all the Info

I will use CR500 and ACB10’s so the ACB’s are not for sale. 😬

I have one final question.

CR500 according to AVON web site come in three 13” wheel sizes 175/55, 195/55 and 205/55 fitting either a 6” or 8” rim dependent on size.

I have 7” rims on the rear and 6” on the front.

Which size CR500 should I use front and rear, and are my 7” rear rims OK or do I need a set of 8” rims

Chris.

Chris - the only way to properly sort the issue is for you to try both. It's a very subjective area (I didn't find CR500s at alll progressive, for example).

Nige evidently needs something as sticky as possible to allow him to drive his machine "properly" as I seemed to do OK on 185 section 21Rs on Le Sept this year. My car's a bit (10%ish) down on his bhp wise but then I don't need hyper drive to prove my manhood (that and I've now got a 380bhp tin top, and can confirm that Pirelli PZero's aquaplane at 100) - turbo'd engine indeed V7. Sacrilege...

Geoff drives like a girl which is why his last so long too.

😬

A set of 21Rs will cost you half the amount of the CR500s and if you hate them, I'll buy them off you. If you like them, you save over 200 quid every 6-10k miles.

Edited by - andy murphy on 2 Jan 2003 19:02:22

Nig / V7 is wrong about 21s, so you'd probably best ignore him

😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

they are FANTASTIC fun, last a reaonable time, cheap, great in the wet, and just lose out on absolute dry grip. the upside is that you can go VERY sideways whenever you want *smile* *thumbup*

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

Avon don't even make them in the right size/profile. Tsk, tsk.

From those choices I'd go 175s front and 205s rear. Your rims should be fine with this combo and it'll give pretty good balance (especially as you have a bit more weight over the front wheels).

I heard AVON were producing CR500s in 175, 195 and 205 sizes but in practice I don't think you can actually get the 195 size.

Small matter of fact... Hoopy destroyed his car whilst driving on 21's on the same day that my Se7en was parked in my garage on ACB10's. Therefore ACB10's are better tyres. 😬

Damn... OK. Still, they must have been a yoko of somedescription (mutters about heavy tyres under his breath so people like Hoopy and Andy can't hear...)..... *tongue*

Hoopy, have you measured a 7 inch ACB10 so as to compare with the (supposed) 175 CR500? They (the CR500s) look much thinner to my eye.

i like 32s even more than 21s Rob *smile*

future upgrades may include going for a touring tyre and a track tyre. the results could be anything from 32Rs and slicks to CR500s and ACB10s. engine, dash and cage are all ahead in the list though...

Nig - I think the point is that AVON have weird ideas of tyre sizes compared to everybody else. never compared CR500s to ACB10s though.

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU