Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

The Seven will be stored for 5 weeks, what to do with the battery

glasgow

Building a new garage and will need to store the seven at a friend's garage for about 5 weeks. No power socket in the garage so can't use the Ctek.... Don't have a battery cut off switch...

Planning to remove the battery and put it on the ctek conditioner for these 5 weeks. Is it just a straight forward battery removal then installation? would I need to reset the immobiliser? Any suggestions or advice please?

Thank you

Ahmed

• Area Representative
I would set the immobiliser and then simply disconnect the battery. You could pop it on a CTEk but with no demand on it from the immobiliser it would probably be fine if its in a good state.

Hi Ahmed *wavey*

If your battery is fully charged and in good condition when you lose the power supply then just disconnect all the wires from one terminal of the battery and it will be fine (usually easiest to disconnect the negative as that's usually only one cable).

If you really want to remove it and keep it on a conditioner, then when you reconnect it you can resync the immobiliser (assuming it's the standard Rover 2-button keyfob type) by pressing the "unset" button on the remote 5 times after reconnecting the battery to the car.

*wink*

Safer to disconnect the negative side first. 🙅🏻‍♂️

If you do the positive side first & your spanner should by accident touch any metal work you will have a big flash.

Still remember the incident 30+ years ago disconnecting the wrongside of the battery first in my MINI so buried in a well in the boot. The dead short somehow earthed via my metal watch strap & burnt my wrist. *cry*

Thank you Ian and Nick....

Can't tell about the condition of the battery. It is always on a charger and never had a problem, however, It is two and half years old and there is always a chance the building of the garage may take over 5 weeks so to be safer I will put it on the Ctek...

Nick, thank you for the advice about setting the immobiliser before I remove the battery....

Ian, sorry for the silly question but just to confirm, the "Unset" button is the "Unlock" isn't it (well the car is not really locked but I mean the button that turns the red light off)