Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Kumho 235 on special offer

Simon.Rogers1

How long /how many heat cycles do we expect the Kumhos to last, and still be competitive for sprinting with? Mine are in their third year now, and after I scrubbed the driver side rear (from snapped DD tube), I was thinking about renewing.

😬

Last year was the 4th year on that set, the year before that I won class 5 so I'd say they were still working at that point. However I'm taking the plunge and getting a new set this year as the rears look particularly unhealthy.

The Kumho and ZZR will last a long time The question is, whether they are competetive or not.

For me, 20 runs would be about the most I would consider. I run an older set for practice and only use the good set for timed runs if a, I need to and b, if I feel I'm driving well. I reckon there's about 5 tenths difference at somewhere like Curborough - new versus well used rubber.

Each to there own though - I've used 3 sets in 4 seasons. I think Shaun and GIll get through at least one set a year.

I installed a 6 speed gearbox over the winter, and with the 3.9 diff In the two events I've competed so far this year, I'm having to adjust my launch technique off the line. It may be easier with fresh rubber giving me more grip.

It was even more interesting last Sunday when two bikers pulled alongside me at the traffic lights, one shouted 'Give us a do?' And obviously I obliged! 😬 Trouble was; I was on the 48R's and the wheelspin was horrendous! I gave them a good run though, with my little old 1600 Rover engine *thumbup*