Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Stahlbus nipples?

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

Has anyone used Stahlbus brake bleed nipples? Seems like a reasonable cost improvement to aid regular bleeding of the system and at around £20 per calliper doesn't seem "so" expensive. Appear to be generally available for bikes but not really come across them for cars.

Stu.

The Russians just took pencils!

Urban myth, bits of broken off pencil floating around would not be welcome.

Must learn to type with more than two fingers *confused*

Edited by - Domus on 4 Jun 2014 18:03:53

I got some fancy nipples for easy bleeding (one way valves). Didn't realise front and rears were different threads, ruined the rear calipers, and the threaded bit wasn't long enough for the fronts so didn't seal properly (nut bit grounded out on the caliper body). These ones. All in all a very expensive mistake for something that really isn't that much of an issue anyway 😶‍🌫️

• Leadership Team

John, I believe one of the selling points of the Stahlbus is that it's a 2 part assembly so once fitted, there's no reason to ever unscrew the section that is threaded into calliper. I've known a couple of instances of the Caterham/AP front callipers having damaged threads resulting in a slow weep of fluid, obviously more problematic with ally callipers than steel.

Stu.

Quoting oldbutnotslow: 
However I cant help thinking about the Americans spending lots of $ creating a ball pen that would write in space

The Russians just took pencils!

Quoting Roger Ford: 
They didn't, you know
Quoting Domus: 
Urban myth, bits of broken off pencil floating around would not be welcome.

Jonathan

Quoting sforshaw: 
John, I believe one of the selling points of the Stahlbus is that it's a 2 part assembly so once fitted, there's no reason to ever unscrew the section that is threaded into calliper. I've known a couple of instances of the Caterham/AP front callipers having damaged threads resulting in a slow weep of fluid, obviously more problematic with ally callipers than steel.

Stu.

Hmmm...never unscrewing them? My experience of standard nipples not being unscrewed for a long period results in them becoming seized and snapping off. Further down the line these fancy ones might need removing, for example to refurb the caliper. Unless of course they are are corrosion resistant - I haven't read all the associated blurb on the website.

Whether they did or didnt wasnt really what I was alluding to.

(but interesting to learn that they both did to start with.)

To quote the article

sometimes we expend a great deal of time, effort, and money to create a "high-tech" solution to a problem, when a perfectly good, cheap, and simple answer is right before our eyes.