Click here if you are having website access problems ×

automatic gearbox

smuts

• Area Representative

I recall a 7 with a traditional torque converter auto in the early 90s driven by a hirsute and jocular chap (name long forgotten), bumped into him a few times at various meets. So yes, it has been done.

A Duratec with an MX5 auto sounds like a good solution.

Cruds

There's a possible lead in this thread.

Lots of possible approaches:

1 Fit an automatic gearbox to an existing 7 engine

2 Fit an engine and automatic gearbox that already work together

3 Fit remote controls to an existing 7 manual box.

Choosing between these would depend on what skills you have.

1 and 2 are probably going to require work on the space frame, mounts and tunnel.

3 might not, and the components are widely available.

For 2 one possibility would be the engine and automatic box from a Mazda MX-5, as above. The smaller the engine and gearbox the easier the structural changes would be: what suitable small RWD Japanese drivetrains are there? Is the Suzuki engine in the 160 ever used with an automatic gearbox?

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 2 Jun 2014 18:25:17

Geartronics has a paddleshift system that can be converted to automatic.

A friend here in Italy has a Westfield with hand operated clutch but that can be easily done only with motorbike engine.

Many thanks for your replies, yes, this guy is in a wheel chair and feels an auto box with hand controls will suit him. Options 1 and 2 mentioned are probably the best to go for and the MX5 combination sounds like a goer.

Hi, I built a lad a Westfield around 20 years ago with an auto cross flow. He'd lost an arm on a bike. Quite simple from what I remember. Tunnel needed widening, but you are loosing the clutch pedal, so not a real issue. Can't remember lots of detail, but defo achievable. Regards, ed

Badger *wavey*

Glad you were reading the pop ups!

Yes and it changes automatically or more specifically to all these systems at preset revs both up and down. These figures/revs can be changed but only via a laptop in the garage - not on the go.

I think on track that may work but on the road it would not be flexible enough and you still need the clutch to start/stop.

Geoff Pickins car was in various conversion states. Started with handlebars and twist grip. More lately it was steering wheel with hand clutch, throttle and brake. All on or around the steering wheel.

You may wish to speak to Mike Riley who did the conversion. *thumbup*