Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil/water temperature wiring :0(

Superwhite R283

I have a 2007 1.6 k with Apollo and attempting to wire the water temp gauge as a duel water/oil gauge.

I've found the cable that is close to the oil temp sender in the Apollo and the other end near the gauge, tested for continuity and have it, wired this to one side of a 3 position switch, linked the live and earth from the gauge plug to the gauge and wired the water sender cables (two green ones) from the plug to the other side of the 3 position switch, then wired the middle terminal of the three position switch to the gauge.

Water temp reads as always when switch is the right way (always reads 40 ish even when cold??) but when on the oil side nothing? I've tested the oil sender (earthed it) and gauge doesn't full flick? I've got another sender and tried that in boiling water when connected to the oil temp sender cable and nothing? Tried the new sender on the water sender cable and that worked?

Only part that I don't understand is why there is two cables connecting to the sender from the water temp but only one at the water temp sender?

Any help would be appreciated before I loose all my hair *confused*

Jonathan: yep, tested without the switch in line and nothing

Charles: The Apollo already had a sender in it, which I can't seem to get to work and bought a new one from redline which i can't get to work either on the oil temp cable (off the car in boiling water with a link cable from body of sender to earth) but does work with the water temp cable.

All sorted, my wiring error, I looked on the back of the white plug (that plugs into the gauge, and assumed the + was power and 'S' was from the sender, but it's the other way around. Sorry for any time lost and thanks for the replies.

Nice to see the oil temperature *cool*