Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Bicycle Speedo

Dave York

but to get to the rear wheel it needs a fairly tortuous path to get there without being on the way. eg dash - bulkhead - down to the tunnel - along the tunnel - through the rear bulk head - to the dedion tube (how much slack so it can move ok?) - round the hubs etc - wheel....

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

Sorry, I'm in work mode, therefore a bit slow 😳

Because of the rotational speed (surely offset by the small radius?), of the prop or because on a disc is it butted up to a ridge to help offset the centripetal force?

Mark

☹️ My Caterham Silver Jubilee No. 7 is for sale ☹️

because the glue takes all the load. on a wheel rim you can get the rim to take all the load and the glue justs stops it moving sideways. on a hub you can at least make the load purely lateral so its a lot easier than the propshaft.

I know of one builder with a sensor on his propshaft and 6 magnets. every few miles to sva one fell off and he recalibrated. luckily 2 survived for the test and there was still one left when he got home.

he's a competant builder as it was his second 7 (westie then a dax) so i assume its just not a nice place to put magnets.

small radius makes its worse - F = mv^2 / r. so smaller radius means bigger force. I think i worked it out at well over 1000 times the force of gravity...

maintaining a 1mm gap to something thats mounted on rubber bushes (ie the gearbox) is tricky as well - if the prop moves it might wipe out the pickup.

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

joining this thread a long way in and it may have already been covered but seeing hoopy's comment about the platic covering on the magnet.

The best bet is to buy a magnetic door latch from B&Q, remove the magnet from the platic housing and use this, much more contact area to stick the magnet to the inside of the front disc.

I've also got a Sigma and works great, magnet has fallen off once but that was after a 360 spin and whilst travelling backwards at high speed at the Oulton Trackday last year 😬 😬

Graham

*confused* Competition Secretary *confused*

*cool* Lydden, Curborough, MIRA, Llandow, Curborough, Aintree...What more can you ask for? *cool*

The best way is to bust the Sigma magnet out of the plastic cover ,key it and glue it straight on to the rim.

The sigma magnet is a small cylinder and is quite powerful. A door latch magnet sounds to big to me but I may be wrong.

You can buy spare Sigma magnets from bike shops for a couple of quid a piece.

I have one on all RF's of my sets of my wheels.

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here