Click here if you are having website access problems ×

how best to deal with gel-coat and colour cracks in fibre glass wings?

SUPERLIGHT91

how best to deal with gel-coat and colour cracks in fibre glass wings?

the typical star-crazed stone chips for underneath - how best to deal with these?

anyone suggest an effective DIY filling for an improved/invisible finish on a BRG glass fibre winged car?

thanks

• Area Representative

New wings. If they are self coloured cycle wings they are fairly inexpensive and probably more cost effective than repairs.

Edited to say - Must type faster.

Edited by - Paul Richards on 26 May 2014 22:44:49

That is a good point about new being fairly inexpensive to simply bolt on - I will have to check if the green standard Caterham Green and go from there.

I expect there is some sort of miracle resin filler that might improve appearance, stop it spreading. That is the beauty of carbon wings - you don't generally get these marks on those, even when painted.

M

There is no quick fix, you grind the star in a V with a dremel, degrease then use some putty with fibers and sand the whole surface. When you have done this use fine putty to finish and repaint. or u could try to fill them with Sicaflex 😬 sand the spot and repaint. I never try this but in theory it can work

Sicaflex got me thinking and: yes of course - its fibre glass like my boat - careful gel coat filler and local paint touch up would probably do it.

I was just curious whether anyone had found a miracle clear filler that seals the star-cracks to make them less obvious without having to repaint.

• Area Representative

Quoting Baz Hemsley: 
You could fit new ones but the new rear wings on mine are not as thick as the old ones. First decent blat and you are back to square one.

Yes the new rear wings are as fragile as butterfly wings, so I glued camping mat to the underside of mine and it appears to stop further damage.

LADS top tip