Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A few simple(to those that know) questions

mlmijyd

I've recently taken ownership of an R300 and have a few questions that probably should have been asked at time of collection but alas I was only interested in getting my bum in the seat and take it home.

Anyhoo, I got the full Tonneau cover and thought that the ( don't laugh ) *confused* instructions on fitting it would be in their handy book. It isn't and wonder if there exists any diagrams to show which of the 100's of poppers actually need to be used as I can't seem to make it fit 🤔

Secondly: Related to the top question. One of the poppers came away when taking it off and would like to know where do you buy the device that inserts them. It looked like the hole was made at an angle and would never have held anything ( it was a popper not actually being used ) so I may need to repair this ?? Is this a typical problem and what's the best way to repair ??

Thirdly: Is it possible to actually buy the build manual for these R300's ? Having zero build knowledge ( would have loved to built it myself but when you commute 5hrs per day ....... )

Lastly, has anyone got a small 'must have' toolkit list for these beasts if I'm only to check things are tight or at correct levels etc...

I know they're all very basic questions but your advice would be appreciated.

John Devlin

R300 Novice Owner ( Scary!! )

John,

The popper bases into the body are fitted with a normal pop rivet gun, but the poppers on the hood and tonneau are fitted using a special punch from Caterham....you can manage without it, but the tool makes for a perfect job.

You need to drill a small hole in the tonneau for the popper to pierce through...which bits go where is obvious if you look at the ones already on your hood.

I have the instructions in my build manual. If you have a fax,give me a call on 01606-786717 and I'll fax them. If not let me know and I'll scan and e-mail them.

Paul

popper tool can be bought from a sowing shop, just take one of the poppers in to match the size, the tool is operated using a big hammer and also punches the hole, the whole kit, including 20 odd poppers coist less than a fiver and I've managed to press stud the wife to the wall as well. as for the rivits, the caterham ones are the imperial equivalent of 4mm, just under actually - might be 4 16ths but I'm hopeless with impeial measurements, any way I used a four mm drill bit and rivits. Other good bit of adivce is to cover the surrounding area of paintwork with loads and loads of masking tape, when you pop the rivit the gun has a tendancy to bang and scratch the paint - well it did on mine anyway. Oh and watch out for the popper hole by the rear wheel arch, I'm not sure if your supposed to but I followed the Caterham measurements and still managed to drill through one of the steel members behind? and check you've got the double popper on the boot cover by the roll bar sides, if you havn't ring them, I did and they sent me two in the next days post.

• Area Representative

By all means warm the tonneau cover up slightly if trying to fit it outside in this weather (was it really trying to snow before... ☹️) but don't make it too warm and stretch it too tightly or when you come to use it and the weather's a bit cold - and probably raining - you won't be able to stretch the fabric enough on to the poppers as it will be too cold....

Otherwise, its straightforward to do and has been covered here

HTH

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬