Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel sensor

C7 GNW

I have just bought a lap timer from Farringdon Instruments. Does anyone have any advice about the best way to fit the wheel sensor. It works by attatching small magnets to the wheel. I would assume it it best fitted to the front, but I am not too sure how.

Debenhams Sale here in downtown Croydon, just bought a neat looking bicycle jobbie, detachable dash mounted display, loads of wiring and other bits. Also fixes to wheel. BUT the best thing is that it was £8 reduced to a FIVER, Got to be worth it even if the instructions for wheel diameter calibration are, to say the least, difficult!!

H.N.Y YOU ALL

David

if you'll send me your email address i'll send you pictures of a DIY one that really does the trick. and it only costs about 65p from your DIY shop, vs 21 quid from caterham.

we hashed this out on the se7ens list last sping. for weeks... *mad*

Steve

Metalic Black SV-VHPD *idea*

click here to see our 7 and rallye pictures....

this works for me:

araldite the sensor to the wheel (clean up and roughen both surfaces and then use slow setting extra strength araldite to be sure it sticks well). The sensor can then go on the cycle wing stay (another reason cycle wings are better than clamshells *wink*) and spaced out as necessary. You need about a 1mm gap and the pickup should normally be perpendicular to the stay. Secure with cable ties and then electrical tape over the top.

You may then want some illumination for the speedo. I used the wires that supplied the wiper switch (I have an aeroscreen so its redundant) and connectedan LED. its then suspended off the lower side of the scuttle and points onto the speedo. A bit of black tape and its looks much neater than you'd expect and works well (tested last night)

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

I did this with a bike speedo:

1. I cut the magnet out of the plastic casing

2. Cleaned and sanded the part of the wheel that was taking the magnet

3. I Used Chemical metal to put the magnet on the wheel. I buit it up in layers since the first fitting needs the magnet to be held in place manually.

Chemical metal should be more resilient than Araldite for heat and should be more resistant to wear and tear.

So far it has surviced a few thousand miles of road work and one pheasant.