Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Injection fuel tank please

zetec

Quoting Guy Lowe: 
Fit a swirl pot *smokin*

Guy

Your pressure regulator won't work properly, if one side isn't to atmospheric pressure. It doesn't know that you have pressurized both sides of the regulator, so can't maintain the correct pressure to the injectors.

Quoting keybaud: 

Your pressure regulator won't work properly, if one side isn't to atmospheric pressure. It doesn't know that you have pressurized both sides of the regulator, so can't maintain the correct pressure to the injectors.

Yes it will because with a swirl pot you always have an atmospheric vent back into the fuel tank.

Guy

Quoting Guy Lowe: 
Quoting keybaud: 

Yes it will because with a swirl pot you always have an atmospheric vent back into the fuel tank.

Guy

The OP doesn't have an injection tank, so he doesn't have a return and people keep telling him to use a swirl pot instead.

Edited by - keybaud on 25 May 2014 21:57:05

Quoting keybaud: 
The OP doesn't have an injection tank, so he doesn't have a return and people keep, telling him to use a swirl pot instead.
that's the whole idea of a swirl pot, it does away with the need for an injection tank *rolleyes*

Quoting Guy Lowe: 
Quoting keybaud: 
The OP doesn't have an injection tank, so he doesn't have a return and people keep, telling him to use a swirl pot instead.
that's the whole idea of a swirl pot, it does away with the need for an injection tank *rolleyes*

An injection tank is a tank with a return, that's all. I thought a swirl pot needed a return to the tank still.

/edit I had a brain fail.

Edited by - keybaud on 25 May 2014 23:04:50

keybaud

Yes an injection tank does have a fuel return but it also has the facility to fit a HP pump inside the tank.

Rather than change the tank some people (me) use an external LP pump to feed a swirl pot, which in turn feeds an external HP pump which feeds the injectors. The return from the fuel rail then goes back to the swirl pot via the pressure regulator. Surplus fuel is returned to the tank via an atmospheric vent from the top of the SP. To do this I simply fitted a banjo in the back plate of the gauge sender unit.

Not sure it was any cheaper/easier than changing the tank but it was what many L7C members who had converted to injection recommend.

Guy.

Edited by - Guy Lowe on 26 May 2014 03:14:51

If it's any help, I can make you an aluminium fuel tank with a flow and return. I usually make them with a sump with the flow and return located in the sump to prevent fuel surge.

I just need the dimensions. I'd suggest making it as big as possible so you don't have to make so many stops while touring.

BM me with the dimensions.

Quoting Guy Lowe: 
keybaud

Yes an injection tank does have a fuel return but it also has the facility to fit a HP pump inside the tank.

Rather than change the tank some people (me) use an external LP pump to feed a swirl pot, which in turn feeds an external HP pump which feeds the injectors. The return from the fuel rail then goes back to the swirl pot via the pressure regulator. Surplus fuel is returned to the tank via an atmospheric vent from the top of the SP. To do this I simply fitted a banjo in the back plate of the gauge sender unit.

Not sure it was any cheaper/easier than changing the tank but it was what many L7C members who had converted to injection recommend.

Guy.

Edited by - Guy Lowe on 26 May 2014 03:14:51

Why couldn't you achieve the same thing with an external HP pump to the injectors and the return to the tank?

I'm just confused why in every post zetec has made, everyone tells him to fit a swirl pot, which is an option, not a necessity. What he really needs is a return to the tank, after which he can choose whether he needs a swirl pot or not.

Edited by - keybaud on 26 May 2014 10:59:01

I think it's to prevent fuel surge problems; if there was just a takeoff pipe to a high pressure pump, it wouldn't cope with the pipe being uncovered as fuel sloshed around in the tank. The injection tanks, as well as having the pump in the tank, I believe are baffled to help avoid this. Carb systems don't have such a problem with it (due to the reservoir of fuel in the float chambers?).