Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing relay workaround and changing starter motor

Like many I have the hot k click issue. I did the relay workaround a little while back but still have the problem. I've checked the wires running to the starter they look fine and the solenoid is not loose or damaged looking, so I wonder if the starter is just toast?

Anything else I should check before I change the starter?

I am planning to get the powerlite RAC430, any other recommendations / options?

Do I need to remove the relay workaround or just leave it there? I fitted it without cutting any wire, so I should be able to just push the wires back into the connector block, remove the scotchlocks and tape up the cuts they leave.

Battery voltage when it won't start??

Have you checked earths as well as feeds and cleaned the connections?

What sort of starter is it?

There are good experiences in the archives of getting starters and solenoids repaired. The advantage of that is that you'd get it tested and you might avoid finding the problem is something else...

Jonathan

Before doing the relay mod I serviced the solenoid as described here. In my case it was a waste of time as the innards were clean.

I can't recommend any particular brand but I was considering buying a Wosp starter but fortunately the mod worked perfectly.

here

here2

There should be a way of putting 12V across the starter to check it spins. Not to be attempted unless you know what you are doing though.

Quoting John Milner: 
There should be a way of putting 12V across the starter to check it spins. Not to be attempted unless you know what you are doing though.
Agreed x2. I put that in my response and then deleted it until we know what sort of starter it is...

Jonathan

Some relay mods require a direct connection to the starter. If you have a few 12v supplies attached and are losing voltage in he loom. This is what happened with mine. Revilla (hero) came up with a solution which has a direct fused link that resolves this. I had also set myself up to start building some plugg and play replacements using the existing relay housing which is all very neat. Have all the parts just never got around to bulding them up. There is a post on here that explains where you fit the wire if you search for k click.

Good luck, as someone who knows the frustration of k click, be assured there is a solution.

David M

I have switched to the Powerlite but had to modify to get it to clear the exhaust ( i have a 4 into 1 sytem with the collector outside the engine bay). Clearance is still fractional but even after 40 minute race heat there is no starting problem.

Edited by - tin duck dave on 24 May 2014 20:19:27