Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Moving Pedals = Stiff Clutch

I've moved the pedals further forward on my new ride and the clutch seems to have got incredibly stiff !

The chap who I bought the car from was > 6ft and I'm 5ft 8 (and a half), when the pedals were at their max - i.e. furthest setting away, the clutch was reasonable. Now, it seems like is has to pull over a hump as it's really stiff and then reasonable on it's travel.

Now, I know the the pivot point has obviously changed, but can it really be reason for such a massive difference??

I'm trying to get the car setup so that SWMBO can drive it... at the moment, it's no go!

Any ideas?

Car is a 1.6 K Series Road Sport with cable clutch.

Quoting mav: 
Have you over tightened the bolt causing the bush to bind?

Yep, all nice and free. It's when you put your foot on the clutch, it becomes stiff and then free. It's like you're pushing the clutch over a hump in the cable (which there isn't)

It's a weird one ??

As an aside ...

That throttle pedal stop shown in the links, with the large round head on it .. is that the stadard pedal stop? Has it changed? Mine just has a small bolt through one of the holes you can see along the edge of the pedal box next to the throttle pedal top, which stops a small stub arm on the pedal itself. This looks a much more substantial arrangement.

The only other things that spring to mind are broken threads in the cable, and a pedal fulcrum bush or mounting bolt that's out of true. It might be worth removing the cable completely and examining how free-running the inner is. And while the cable's off, try operating the pedal to see if it moves smoothly.

JV

@SM25T - Yes, of course this would stop the pedal at the other end of its travel! Brain failed for a moment there. In which case I appear to be completely missing a bottom stop on my pedal. I shall investigate further. Thanks. Apologies to the OP for the hijack.