Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Interior Refinements

I'm trying to add a couple of refinements to the interior of my Ex-Academy Roadsport starting with the tunnel top.

It's currently got the aluminium surround over the gear stick like this :

Link 1

Link 2

I've got one of these which came with the car:

Link 3

Link 4

What's the best way of mounting the leather clad tunnel top gear gator? Surely it's a bit more sophisticated than just drilling through the leather and aluminium ?

Anyone advise ?

Edited by - Barkalarr on 20 May 2014 13:56:15

How old is the car? Does it have the handbrake in the tunnel, or up under the dash?

Either way, you can get a longer tunnel top which runs from under the dash, to the panel behind the seats. I've not seen the tunnel-top you have pictured.

Fitting is as basic as drilling and screwing through the rear/lower side and into the tunnel...

• Area Representative

Quoting Barkalarr: 

What's the best way of mounting the leather clad tunnel top gear gator? Surely it's a bit more sophisticated than just drilling through the leather and aluminium

Nope, that's just about it. If you want to be a bit more upmarket, use riv-nuts and 5 mm cap head bolts rather than the usual self tappers!

It looks to be the tunnel top for a live axle car

Nick

Thanks for your replies....

The car is a 2001 DeDion rear axle with a 1.6 K series engine. The interior is all aluminium at the moment.. it's a bit harsh for what I want to use it... on the road. It rattles a bit and it's just a bit cold.

The handbrake is beneath the dash - it's such a long way away from me, I guess I'll never use it.

I'm really after a full length leather tunnel top like this one from Caterham Parts.

I got this with the car Linky

and I'm trying to replace this part Linky Link which is already in the car.

Obviously, I can measure and drill the same holes as the old part into the new part, but it means I need to drill through the leather and the aluminium.... I'm a bit concerned the leather is going to tear, but I'm sure I can get round this.

I was rather hoping for some ingenious way of fixing this part into the car.... but alas no!

So, to confirm, the install of the leather gaiter that I have is just a case of drilling through the leather?

Quoting Barkalarr: 
Obviously, I can measure and drill the same holes as the old part into the new part, but it means I need to drill through the leather and the aluminium.... I'm a bit concerned the leather is going to tear, but I'm sure I can get round this.
If you're worried about the drill twisting the leather you can make a hole with an awl, a punch or a soldering iron. Is there a hidden bit on which you can practise?

Jonathan