Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Great Weekend at Curborough

Mark Durrant

Despite the risk to my well being *smile* I decided to sneak into Curborough to watch a weekend of motorsport. It was great to see 9 novices competing plus a few of the old hands giving it a go plus the return of the 'Historic' x-flow piloted by the new LF Editor.

A big thanks should go to everyone who made this possible, but just one question who will be carrying the yellow trowel at Gurston? I saw Clive Marsden then Simon Roger's take to the grass, apparently it was not driver error but testing of his driver aids 😳. I am sure the new Comp Sec will confirm *thumbup*

Hope to make it to Gurston when the club shares the paddock with the high powered single seaters competing in the British Hillclimb Championship *thumbup*

Actually you will see from my video of "outtakes" 😬 from the weekend that will shortly be uploaded to YouTube that on the run in question involved a spin on lap 1 out of Fradley all due to the oil the Ex Chairman had deliberately laid the previous week - which was calmly controlled to remain on the tarmac. The incident at Woodside that then followed was unexpected to say the least *eek* and only just touched the grass.

The wildest ride was on Saturday 😔

Thank you Adrian I knew that a real skilled and knowledgeable driver would notice there was a technical error and that it was not the driver's fault *wink*

Of course I could have lifted feathered and saved it but I needed to know what was happening.

Found the traction was not on the correct setting.

Now switched on *tongue*

My Better lap on Saturday.

Using the Garmin VIRB and Dashware software to put the data GPX files together.

There is a small sync error between the GPS location/position and its speed/Acceleration and Braking that I can not fix but there is an update due.

Have a look at Dashware - only found it when trying to fix the sync problem in the VIRB free software - which is good but the sync tools and data logging in Dashware for £30 is fantastic.

Film using any camera and log your position with any other or same device - phones can be used and sync together - fantastic!

Just a few (34) pictures here:

Facebook gallery

Not remotely close to everyone, we were only there for a couple of hours after a leisurely drive down and before heading to Barton to see Rush. And, frankly, I don't pretend to be a photographer, just someone who takes a couple of pictures occasionally.

*smile*

Great videos, Simon/Rob - and great drives! (so, that's how it's done eh?!). I'm one of those 8 novices out at Curbs (to be precise, the one at exactly the other end of the field! lol). Really enjoyed the weekend, my first sprint, but a real steep learning curve for me - but we all do have to start somewhere.... Glad to see I'm not the only one to spin SImon - though I must say you do it with so much more style! (Having said that, I think I'm the only one to have the honour of spinning at flagpole and sliding gracefully backwards into the outside cone (the inside apex cone from lap one!) and receiving a 1 second penalty in the process! 😬(I think 50mph through the speed trap and then expecting to make flagpole is asking just a bit much of my particularly rubbish 10 year old ZZ3's!). A bit more experience, and a new set of A539's both called for urgently me thinks....! A follow up newbie's 'first race' piece coming soon in LF (June, I do believe). Looking forward to my next one...

Thanks Rob - appreciate that.... I have the utmost respect for anyone that can fly round a course as fast as you guys! (whatever the tyres....). Just a case of starting with what you've got (... for me anyway). I sort of feel you need to earn the right for better gear... start at the bottom (haha - literally in my case!) *biggrin*

But you were not last novice, Mark. That's the table you should be looking at, not necessarily the rest of the class.

I'm glad you enjoyed the weekend. And trust me, it's a steep learning curve for almost everyone at the beginning.

:)

Thanks Oli - you're so kind. Yes, I suppose so - I do my best to look for the positives... (at least both my 64' and first lap splits were moving in the right direction before my enthusiasm got the better of me!). The number of people now doing pretty good in class that said they started right at the back is encouraging I must say... (And well done for you're new PB - a real healthy improvement!! Looking good on your video!) *smile*