Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Snapped Seat Belt Bolt

Molecular--Bob

I have the mechanical sympathy of an ape and have managed to snap one of the seatbelt anchor bolts flush with the mounting face. I will have to drill it out and then retap so two questions.

How hard are the bolts

What size of bit will i need to cut the bolt to the point where i can pick out the remains of the bolt?

Bolts will be 12.9 grade. I wouldn't be happy re tapping after drilling it out. There may not be enough material left if your threads are 'out of sync' with the originals.

How did the bolt shear? Was it cross threaded on the way in or seized on the way out?

Unless its bottomed out it may not be in that tight. Have you tried un-doing with a centre punch? I did this on a shear bolt on a mini steering column many years ago. Tap it straight on a few times to create a divot then slant the punch and see if it will hammer undone.

Obligatory plusgas / penetrating oil first.

BTW which one is it - can you get to the other side of it?

Ian

Edited by - Wrightpayne on 18 May 2014 20:26:07

Its the one in the tunnel. I was trying to remove it, and it was tight as, so i applied the aptly named breaker bar. I do have access from the other side as the other bolt came out easily. Guess i could use the other side as a drilling guide and then use a longer bolt to hold both sides.

While the penetrating oil is soaking in... what's the full list of options for this:

* Drill and destroy the bolt

* Drill and apply a left-handed extractor, discussed here, with recommendations for drill bits

* Weld a lever on the bolt

* Cut a slot in the remnant and use a screwdriver bit

* Centre punch, as above

... what else?

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 18 May 2014 20:52:42

I use left hand drills to remove broken bolts, if its loose enough it will spin itself out as you drill.

If its tight after drilling the hole, heat the bolt until red with a small gas welding torch.

If done quickly without the nut getting red the bolt will shrink as it cannot expand,

Once cool it will just turn out with a screw driver.

Chris.

Quoting Birkin S3 ZA.: 
If its tight after drilling the hole, heat the bolt until red with a small gas welding torch.

If done quickly without the nut getting red the bolt will shrink as it cannot expand...

I think that heat causes expansion and subsequent contraction which breaks the bond between the two threads. I don't know if heat weakens thread locking compounds.

Jonathan

Heat does soften thread lock.

I have seen figures for the required temperatures somewhere and they are not that high that you'd need to get the bolt/nut glowing red.

Heat is often used to release threadlocked bolts into alloy where it's not desireable to heat those up too much.

Found Loctite Red succumbs at 550F/287C

Edited by - Grim Reaper on 20 May 2014 11:36:17

I think that heat causes expansion and subsequent contraction which breaks the bond between the two threads.

As long as there is a hole in the centre and the wall is not to thick, when heated quickly the bolt will try to expand outwards but collapses inwards.

If its heated slowly it will brake the bond and kill the Loctite but will expand the same rate as the outer part, and when cooled both will return to there original size.

The new KTM four stroke cranks have no web to hold onto for removing the big end pin, the pin is hollow for the oil passage so I remove the plugs and heat the pin.

Once cooled the pin just taps out and the hole is left the original size to press the new parts together.

Chris.