Click here if you are having website access problems ×

FIA roll bar bolts above rear damper

I am currently trying to replace my tall FIA roll bar with a standard FIA item, however removal of the bolts above the rear damper is proving impossible.

I have tried the ground down socket technique with no luck, and the irwin bolt grips.

The problem is clearly a combination of the shallow bolt head, the surprising amount of torque required and difficult access.

It seems that when I have the required extension bars fitted to get decent leverage,too much flex causes the bolt grip/sock to just slip off the bolt head. I have been consious not to make too much of a mess of the bolt heads as this will just make the situation worse. I have also tried a a second pair of hands applying upward pressure to the soket whilst I try to rotate it, but this also is to no avail.

Has anybody got any other suggestions that may help as I am getting severley frustrated?

Thanks in advance,

Graham

Second Richy.

3/8 sockets are smaller and easier to work with than 1/2" To make matters worse the 1/2 head bolt sits in a small recess.

Socket Extension bar and breaker bar on the extension . Place a jack under the breaker bar and apply upward pressureand turn. They will normally come undone using this method

This is what they look like

Edited by - oldbutnotslow on 17 May 2014 20:58:34

may have to remove mine in near future, is there a reason that a thin head bolt is used, could it be replaced with a hex or torx head bolt , or indeed a normal head

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 18 May 2014 17:52:56

Thanks for the replies, I really felt that the trolley jack method was clutching at straws.......but it worked! I now have a super cool double diaganol FIA roll bar fitted, and a tall FIA bar in vgc will be for sale very shortly :-) Once again thanks to the POBC!