Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gear change noise

ChrisC

I have been using the GoPro in the Seven since I got it in December, but this was my first track day I have used it and it picked up a strange "chirp" sound while changing gear only when flat out. I didn't pick up on the noise, maybe because I wear ear protection, and I didn't feel anything funny or different with the gear changes.

The car is a 2011 ex academy car, open sierra diff, 5 speed type 9, with a 150 kit fitted.

My diff is not the quietest, and I am not worried about that, I think it could be a case of TADTS, or some weird resonance picked up by the GoPro, but I just wanted the BC community to confirm this.

Video here

PS The video was taken on the last session of the day, but all flat out changes from the day have this noise, also the second quiet gear change was done on the cool down lap from this session and the noise was not picked up on any gear change on the 100 mile journey home.

First thought before watching the video was early sign of CRB failure but I'm not really picking up anything I can identify as such from the video. Does the sigma use the same CRB/Clutch fork as the K Series? If not then probably not the issue.

I've had 2 K Series CRB's failed (two separate 7's) and both the initial symptoms were heard on high rev gear changes.

Given it's a different setup in the Sigma I'm probably wrong and it's something completely different. Hope you find it.

I see what you mean, I don't know what is making the noise, but I don't think I have heard it from my Sigma 125.

If you want to have a listen to my car

is a link to a lap of Goodwood. Not a lot of gear changing at Goodwood, but there is a maximum revs shift soon after the chicane.

Duncan

Always 3rd to 4th (above 6500), its quiet if the change is made below 6. Its quiet 5th to 4th under braking. but also makes a noise as move out of 4th, but quiet into 5th.

Can't help thinking I have a problem with 4th.