Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alloy Gear Knobs

chris perry 1

Dear All,

If anyone is interested i have two of the finned alloy gear knobs featured on page 13 of this months Low Flying for sale.

One has an M10 x 1.5 thread

One has an 3/8 UNC thread

Overall length of the gear knob is 80mm, the ball is 48mm dia. There is no gear pattern engraving.

£45 each including p + p.

Regards,

Chris Perry

Edited by - chris perry on 12 May 2014 06:39:09

Go on then Chris.....I should have held out longer until the price hit £25 *tongue* 😬

Can I take the M10 x 1.5 version please for a type 9 fitting (96 Supersprint ).

I'll triple check the thread size (as I have not had the knob off for a few years).

I'll BM you about payment. I feel a LowFlying article coming on about my new knob *eek* 😬

Dave *wavey*

Hello Dave,

Thanks for agreeing to buy one!

At £45 i have not made anything.

The knobs are made on a manual lathe with ball turning attachment, they are not CNC. Although it looks quiet simple, it is quiet a difficult piece to machine. When the fins are cut the swarf from the cut wraps round the piece and hinders the cutting.

The guy who makes them charged me £35 per gear knob and i provide the material. The ali is 7075 T6 and costs £5 per knob. Once p + p is taken into account, plus me going to the post office, i have broken even.

Hummmm, there must be an easier way to make enough money to buy a 620R.

Please double check what thread size your gear lever is and blatmail. I can accept paypal if that is easier.

If you don't like the gear knob when you receive it, you can return it to me and i will give you a refund. I think when you see one for real you will be more the happy.

I can't say fairer than that!

Regards,

Chris Perry

Chris - I fully understand! Having been taught by a chap at Uni who would not let us progress on our metal machining course until we had turned an egg in ally on a Harrison M300 I know where you are coming from.....no ceramic tipped tools or CNC nonsense *smile* *thumbup*

I'll check that thread now (sorry, got sidetracked *rolleyes*) and BM you. Thank you also for the kind offer of a refund - I am sure that I won't need it but nice to know *thumbup* *thumbup*

Will be in touch,

Dave *wavey*

Hi all,

I have one of these, fitted it the other day. It's a lovely thing, super shiny and bizarrely it now seems easier to change gear, the lever/knob snicking about very nicely, must be cos it's lighter:)

Cheers

Jon