Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A way to 'clean up' faded switchgear on dash

Wile7

A nugget of wisdom from the Blatchat crew possibly?

I am looking at ways to rejuvenated faded/weather worn switch gear on the dash.

The old austin rover/mini switches. The have gone 'white' over years of sun and rain.

Are there any households secrets to how these can be made to look newish again? The proverbial salt/vinegar/Guinness/toothpaste mixes?

Or just a scrub with a plastic renovating gel or something?

Many thanks

Dave *wavey*

this stuff is pricey, but as per the blurb says

"Gtechniq C4 utilises a covalent or chemical bond to actually become an extension of the plastic molecule it's protecting. Not to be confused with much weaker electrostatic bonds used by, amongst others, ptfe based polymers Gtechniq C4 actually swaps part of its molecular structure with the surface molecules of your car's trim.

What this means is that you now have a protective coating of unparalleled durability. Unlike many trim products on the market Gtechniq C4 is an exceptionally thin (circa 30nm) optically clear film which means that it does not add an unattractive gloss film to the surface instead it restores all but the most faded trim to an as new condition. You can expect approximately 2 years from a single application."

I've used it on my girlfriend's mini coopers faded greying trim - and it comes out looking like new...

And still does now after 6 months. highly recommended.

Edited by - Roadracer1977 on 8 May 2014 09:50:49

Quoting Wile7: 
Are there any households secrets to how these can be made to look newish again? The proverbial salt/vinegar/Guinness/toothpaste mixes?

I heard that Vaseline works wonders.

Quoting Pete Underhill: 
Could you not replace the switches?

Although this is what I did in the end.

Quoting Roadracer1977: 
"Gtechniq C4 utilises a covalent or chemical bond to actually become an extension of the plastic molecule it's protecting."
Does it work on bikes, and was it invented by Flann O'Brien?

:-)

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 8 May 2014 10:58:26

The Gtechniq C4 range of products really is the bee's knees - if you want it to last use the permanent trim restorer. If you want it to look good, then fade back to how it is now in a months time then use the mers that's been recommended by others.

Thank you for the quick replies gents *thumbup*

Quoting Pete Underhill: 
Could you not replace the switches?
Yes Pete. That was my idea. The last time I looked they were a couple of quid. Now around £9 plus vat each with p&p on top....and I'm tight *tongue*

They all work fine apart from one so....That said, if anyone has some new spares *rolleyes*

Mark - yes please *thumbup*

Dave

Edited by - Wile7 on 8 May 2014 11:06:04