Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LED indicator bulbs for clear lenses

Had a search around and can't really find anything.

I've got the clear light kit which included the CC LED brake / tail, and fog light.

However, I can't seem to find any orange LED indicators on the CC site or elsewhere - not sure where to look to be honest, but they need to be orange due to the clear lenses...

Quoting AdeC: 
get Chrome/Orange from e-bay *thumbup*
just searched for that - but i can't find the right thing..? Maybe I'm being dumb *rolleyes*

A link would be handy... *cool*

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
You probably know this already but you might need to make some changes to the flasher unit for it to work with LEDs.
And no, I didn't know that - ideally I'd want just a hassle free 'plug and play' bulb if there is such a thing *eek*

Edited by - Roadracer1977 on 7 May 2014 20:32:43

Quoting Roadracer1977: 
Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
You probably know this already but you might need to make some changes to the flasher unit for it to work with LEDs.
And no, I didn't know that - ideally I'd want just a hassle free 'plug and play' bulb if there is such a thingSome LEDs don't present the right load to traditional flasher units. You have to add resistors or a proprietary module or change the flasher unit IIRC. I think there are details in the archives.

Jonathan

It sounds like a simple problem, but (apart from the impedance problem) I can't remember seeing a product that satisfies all of the following:

* Same physical base to fit the lamp holder

* Orange

* Appropriate brightness

* Appropriate angle of illumination

* Legal for road use.

But it's a topic that suffers from even more thread proliferation than most!

Jonathan

Daniel,

If its any help, I fitted led side repeaters and I didn't need to fit any resistors or change the relay so yours should be the same. I will be doing the same as you when my car is back and don't expect any issues, just plug and play.

Gregs

Quoting Gregs79: 
If its any help, I fitted led side repeaters and I didn't need to fit any resistors or change the relay so yours should be the same. I will be doing the same as you when my car is back and don't expect any issues, just plug and play.
Was that with incandescent lamps in the other indicators and LEDs only in the repeaters?

Jonathan

Daniel,

Any LED replacements either need a built in current limiting resistor (normally built in to stop and tail LEDs) or a special flasher control unit instead of the usual indicator relay. You can put resistors in series with your LED indicator lamps, but I have used one of these here and it works great. Plugs into the relay box in place of the indicator relay. You can find these cheaper on the internet, but SVC were really helpful and quick service.

SVC also have some resistors, if you decide to go that route. They need to have a higher power rating than the usual 1/4 W ones...

Mark

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Quoting Gregs79: 
Was that with incandescent lamps in the other indicators and LEDs only in the repeaters?

Jonathan

Yes it was.

Quoting CA Sevener: 
Daniel,

Any LED replacements either need a built in current limiting resistor (normally built in to stop and tail LEDs) or a special flasher control unit instead of the usual indicator relay. You can put resistors in series with your LED indicator lamps, but I have used one of these here and it works great. Plugs into the relay box in place of the indicator relay. You can find these cheaper on the internet, but SVC were really helpful and quick service.

SVC also have some resistors, if you decide to go that route. They need to have a higher power rating than the usual 1/4 W ones...

Mark

Erm that advice could be confusing.

LEDs do require a current limiting SERIES resistor, but this is usually built in to LEDs intended for automotive use, and has a low power (wattage) rating.

The use of LEDs on an existing flasher circuit intended for incandescent lamps will probably require a load resistor in PARALLEL to provide a sufficient load to the flasher unit (or change the flasher unit to an LED compatible one).This will need to be a higher power rating.

Edited by - Ian B on 8 May 2014 10:48:27

I tried the LED fix relay linked earlier in this thread but it doesn't work (indicators don't work at all), just looked at the more recent eBay relay (LED type) and the positive and negative is on different pins, guessing this is why?? *confused* or is it just a faulty relay

All sounds like too much hassle to me..!

Think I'll stick with the std orange incandescent ones with the clear lenses.

Quoting daz00004: 
Flasher relay, the 3 pin unit that pushes into the fuse box (on the side), i bought this one here, but the unit David linked to has the - and + on different pins?

I checked the orientation with my 1989 wiring diagram which is why I selected the one I did and yes, flashing is 70 pps.