Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Live Axle Bearings again....

abbot

Hi,

I recently posted that I had a problem with my RH side Half Shaft nut coming loose.

I get new nuts, applied suggested loctite and nipped them up FT.

I also applied a dab of tippex across the nut / shft interface so I could see if the nut had loosened again.

This weekend I was out for a blat and sensed the back end not behafing its self.

I jacked the car up and sure enough the wheel has some play when rocked back and forth at the 12 Oclock 6 Oclock axis and the 9Oclock 3 Oclock axis.

I the half shaft nut has not moved so still tight.

So I assume the bearing has moved on the shaft or bearing has broken down.

I did get a lot infoo from BC about bearing installation but now I am thinking that I did not follow the shimming exercise.

It is not clear form the instructions if I am shimming the small diameter ring or the large diameter ring.

Also does anyone know a good source of peelable shim stock that is the correct diameter for this job to save getting something machined?

Sorry for being dim, any comment or help appreciated.

Now off to see if I can find a French Motor Factor with a bearing set, otherwise will get a set posted from redline tomorrow.

there's various threads about shimming or tack welding but after going through the exercise a couple of times I bit the bullet and upgraded to rakeway halfshafts.

Stubstantially stronger and does away with all the problems associated with the live axle half shafts, you can even run on sticky rubber with out worrying about the half shafts.

Edited by - CaterBram on 5 May 2014 16:54:08

Quoting elie boone: 
You need to shim the small dia, about 5 mm. ideally you measure the half shaft and then calculate the shim with. If you send me a PM I can mail you the relevant manual.

Hi Ellie

You have sent me a copy of what looks like an ITAL Haynes Manual pages about 3 years ago.

The shimming process described there is all related to the Diff pinion and not the Wheel end of the Half shafts. I did replace the bearings at that point but am now back in the postion of having play in the wheel.

Thanks

Quoting elie boone: 
Abbot, if I send you 7 pages it's at the bottom end of page 1 it says bearing to treaded end of half shaft = 2,84in or 72,14mm

Ahh you even high lighted it. I must have had a man moment (see other thread about men not being able to find things under thier nose);

Thanks

Anyone got rough dimensions of the spacer OD ID that is needed?

Hmmm heavy bummer. Managed to pull the hub off tonight to find that the half shaft has broken. It is a very strange break that apears to have propogated from the key groove and effectively peeled a chunk off the taper cone. I will post some pics at the weekend for anyone interested.

Drat gutted for you.

meant what I said about the Rakeway kit, not cheap but does sort once & for all, & if you really fancy an upgrade then there was some posts recently about combining the rakeway with a disc brake conversion.

Quoting Abbot: 
Managed to pull the hub off tonight to find that the half shaft has broken. It is a very strange break that apears to have propogated from the key groove and effectively peeled a chunk off the taper cone. I will post some pics at the weekend for anyone interested.
Better out than in. Are you going to remove the LH shaft and inspect?

Jonathan

Quoting CaterBram: 
Drat gutted for you.

meant what I said about the Rakeway kit, not cheap but does sort once & for all, & if you really fancy an upgrade then there was some posts recently about combining the rakeway with a disc brake conversion.

Yep, speak with James whiting, I recon he could or may send you a kit with half shafts , new hubs & with drums or better still a disc conversion.

Bm me if you need photos :)